DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Classic - Need help!

DyZo027

Reactions
Hello everyone, I have a DJI Mavic 3 Classic that I'm trying to fix. I got the drone broken for £850 in hopes that I could fix it and used it myself. I managed to fix the front left arm, gimbal dampener, and camera signal cable. However, things got worse after fixing it myself as there's no video signal from the camera, the gimbal is constantly shaking, and I keep getting an ESC error. To make matters worse, I recently discovered that the seller I bought the drone from reported it stolen. I sent it to DJI to fix it, but they told me that they were unable to work on it because of the reported theft. Is there any chance that I can still save my drone? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Perhaps there is hope for you but I don't know the laws in your country. Where did you buy the drone from, online or FTF? Did you pay with a credit card?

Sorry to say I think you got screwed.
How did you buy it, e.g. ebay etc.?
That said your repair attempts have probably done away with any protections offered.
I know it is unfortunate for you but I am pleased to see that DJI will not repair it, will they actually return it to you?

There's always a chance you could fix it yourself but I suspect it would cost you a fortune and is a matter of hit and miss luck.
My advice, write it off and, if you get it back from DJI, surrender it to the Garda as "as it turns out stolen property", give them all the details of the seller that you can.
Of course it could be that the original owner is trying to pull a flanker on you and/or the seller and/or insurance but neither you nor anyone here, can know that.

Last edited:
Perhaps there is hope for you but I don't know the laws in your country. Where did you buy the drone from, online or FTF? Did you pay with a credit card?
I bought the drone broken from Facebook Market in the UK and I paid that person through Credit Card. I did try to report the person as a scammer to my credit card provider but they wouldn't take any action, I can only report it to the police.

That said your repair attempts have probably done away with any protections offered.
I know it is unfortnate for you but I am pleased to see that DJI will not repair it.
I bought it through Facebook Market. Would replacing the main motherboard solve the issue, as trying to fix the drone would be my last resort to even keeping the drone alive?

I bought it through Facebook Market. Would replacing the main motherboard solve the issue, as trying to fix the drone would be my last resort to even keeping the drone alive?
Honest answer, I have no idea.
My suspicion would be that you must replace AT LEAST whatever board the ESC's are mounted on, unless the individual ESC's can be replaced and you have the equipment and skill to do that.
BUT replacing which ever board may add yet another layer of repair to what is necessary, in that you may then have to electronically re-pair/recalibrate the replaced board. Even if that succeeds it may not cure the problem if the problem lies elsewhere.
Sorry but I think you will be very lucky to repair this ..... plus you would then be knowingly in possession of and or using a stolen drone, which might be a criminal offence if you are ever caught/discovered.
Does the Irish aviation authority require drone serial numbers?

Last edited:
Reactions: claytonc214
I know it is unfortunate for you but I am pleased to see that DJI will not repair it, will they actually return it to you?

There's always a chance you could fix it yourself but I suspect it would cost you a fortune and is a matter of hit and miss luck.
My advice, write it off and, if you get it back from DJI, surrender it to the Garda as "as it turns out stolen property", give them all the details of the seller that you can.
Of course it could be that the original owner is trying to pull a flanker on you and/or the seller and/or insurance but neither you nor anyone here, can know that.
But we don't know the process, what does it take to report a drone to DJI as stolen? If the transaction goes poorly and the seller feels as if he didn't get enough money for the sale can he just go ahead and report the drone stolen to DJI? Does DJI require a police report? Can I just report the serial number from your drone to DJI and say it was stolen or do I have to be the "owner" and for DJI, who is the owner? The person who paid for the drone or the account that is logged in?

My guess is a drone is not "stolen" until the police have a report and if only DJI was told the drone is stolen, it's not stolen to the police until they get a report. If there is a stolen report on police file, the buyer might have a good case.

I bought the drone broken from Facebook Market in the UK and I paid that person through Credit Card. I did try to report the person as a scammer to my credit card provider but they wouldn't take any action, I can only report it to the police.
Wow, I can already tell the laws may be pretty weak in your country but I think you still might have a chance. If you are in the right, you still have options. $1K is nothing to sneeze at and you certainly shouldn't allow thieves to win without putting up a fight. Just to clarify, you paid with a credit card to the buyer and the it is the buyer that reported the drone stolen? Or, did you buy from a seller who sold you a drone that was reported stolen by someone else?

Is there a police report for this stolen drone or does DJI simply say it is marked stolen? I am happy that DJI will take action on a stolen drone but it needs to be legitimate and there needs to be a way to un-stolen a drone so that paperweights don't get permanently trafficked around the world repeatedly victimizing unsuspecting buyers. What is DJI going to do, return to the drone to the person that reported it as stolen or turn it over to the police? They should return the drone to you.

Why won't your credit card help you? Did you buy a broken drone or did you buy what you thought was a working legitimate drone which turns out to be stolen? Do you know the seller? If you think you were cheated, then report it to the police but if you know the seller, take them to court. I don't know the laws in your country but you may have to prove the seller knew the drone was stolen when he sold it.

Otherwise, yeah you might be screwed. Lessons learned I guess.

But we don't know the process, what does it take to report a drone to DJI as stolen? If the transaction goes poorly and the seller feels as if he didn't get enough money for the sale can he just go ahead and report the drone stolen to DJI? Does DJI require a police report? Can I just report the serial number from your drone to DJI and say it was stolen or do I have to be the "owner" and for DJI, who is the owner? The person who paid for the drone or the account that is logged in?

My guess is a drone is not "stolen" until the police have a report and if only DJI was told the drone is stolen, it's not stolen to the police until they get a report. If there is a stolen report on police file, the buyer might have a good case.
What point are you trying to make?
I have already suggested that one possiblilty is that the original owner is trying to pull a flanker.

The fact of the matter is that DJI regard the drone as stolen. As far as this thread is concerned how that was reported is neither here nor there.
DJI are obviously satisfied that the drone was, at some point, stolen.

Last edited:
One other point has just come to mind, now that the UK is no longer in the EU what is the situation regarding import duties into Eire?

Can you get the parts and fix it. Yes
Should you? The cost of the parts combined with your labor, and you will have a Mavic 3 Classic that cost you a little bit less than refurbed- with no warranty. If you wanna dive in and do it-- go for it! but in your case if it ever breaks you will have to fix it, and how good is your personal flyaway coverage. I have not personally seen the extent of the damage but I would start with inspecting the gimble and all components If it was crashed hard enough to damage the components you would be very lucky indeed if the gimble motor or camera are still any good. If you are wanting a project then you have a nice one. BUT if you are wanting a drone to fly. I would tell you lesson learned and I really hope you get your money back THEN Buy from CAMRISE on Ebay.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne