DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My amp/antenna build and distance test (I will update thread as i go)

but yes I had been slacking a little too! lol lol but i have been busy with other things :(

nooo I have been posting video's on my you tube channel :) distance test will tower and some night flight info/tips :)

antenna tower distance flights - YouTube

mavic pro distance test with diferent antennas WIth 4 watt amps - YouTube

I have the exact same telescopic pole and would like to do the same thing as you. When I'm ready to pull the trigger I'm going to check out the way you set yours up and try to duplicate it.

I'm trying to figure out how I can raise it up using my chimney as the base so I can get the top of the antenna 20 or so feet above the peak of my 2 story house. It has to be temporary because my community has an HOA and they don't like that kind of stuff.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of a pvc pipe and a pulley system. We'll see.

I have the exact same telescopic pole and would like to do the same thing as you. When I'm ready to pull the trigger I'm going to check out the way you set yours up and try to duplicate it.

I'm trying to figure out how I can raise it up using my chimney as the base so I can get the top of the antenna 20 or so feet above the peak of my 2 story house. It has to be temporary because my community has an HOA and they don't like that kind of stuff.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of a pvc pipe and a pulley system. We'll see.

ohhh I feel your pain!!! I used to live in a HOA it sucked!!! now I live out in the county which is zoned agricultural seeing the difference from that to residential I will never live in a residential area again!!!

anyways I would assume you are needing pulley's so you can lay it "down" on the roof when not in use without climbing the roof :) is there any window that is closest to the chimney? if so that would help with this system. you may need two pulley systems one to raise and lower it and one to "lock" and "unlock" it when its in place. if that makes any sense

Last edited:
I would make a "clamp" type system so you wont have to drill holes onto the roof. I would mount a hing on the end of the telescopic pole. I would assume the pole would stay fully extend you would just be laying it down type of thing?

ohhh I feel your pain!!! I used to live in a HOA it sucked!!! now I live out in the county which is zoned agricultural seeing the difference from that to residential I will never live in a residential area again!!!

anyways I would assume you are needing pulley's so you can lay it "down" on the roof when not in use without climbing the roof :) is there any window that is closest to the chimney? if so that would help with this system. you may need two pulley systems one to raise and lower it and one to "lock" and "unlock" it when its in place. if that makes any sense

Living here was my wife's idea....I wanted to buy acreage on one of the barrier islands, I live on the coast in South Carolina. I live in one of those country club subdivisions and they send you a nasty letter if you sneeze in the wrong direction!

The setup can't stay in place when not in use so it will have to be set up every time I wanted to fly. I like the idea of a clamp....I was thinking I would use a come along around the chimney to hold pvc piping and then figure a pulley system to raise the pole with the antenna's on it....I suppose some kind of hinge would work great.

Living here was my wife's idea....I wanted to buy acreage on one of the barrier islands, I live on the coast in South Carolina. I live in one of those country club subdivisions and they send you a nasty letter if you sneeze in the wrong direction!

The setup can't stay in place when not in use so it will have to be set up every time I wanted to fly. I like the idea of a clamp....I was thinking I would use a come along around the chimney to hold pvc piping and then figure a pulley system to raise the pole with the antenna's on it....I suppose some kind of hinge would work great.

ohh yes I know what you mean there on the sneeze in the wrong direction!!!! :(

when you say you want to raise it you mean if the "pole" is laying down? not extending the pole correct?

ok ya I would buy ( years ago they sold "clamp mounts for tv antenna that let you clamp it to a chimney) or make a clamp for the chimney that clamp would hold a a pvc pipe that is just alittle bigger then the pole. I would cut the pvc pip in half ( the long way) then at the bottom of the pvc pipe I would mount a board that would have the hinge mount to it then the bottom of the pole would have the other part of the hinge. the hinge would let it "lay" down and would help guide the pole into the pvc pipe that you cut length wise. a pulley system would help raise and lower it but would also hold the "pole" in place up against the pvc pipe that is cut length wise.

hum not sure if that makes any sense hard to explain..lol

would may need to add a spring that spring would be pulling on the pole so that it would "help" lay the pole down. the pulley system would have to be uses to "hold" the pole up cause with out it the spring would want to lay the pole down you would "tie" off the pulley rope to keep the pole up

then when you want to lay it down untie the pulley rope and SLOWLY let the rope thru the pulley

ok ya I would buy ( years ago they sold "clamp mounts for tv antenna that let you clamp it to a chimney) or make a clamp for the chimney that clamp would hold a a pvc pipe that is just alittle bigger then the pole. I would cut the pvc pip in half ( the long way) then at the bottom of the pvc pipe I would mount a board that would have the hinge mount to it then the bottom of the pole would have the other part of the hinge. the hinge would let it "lay" down and would help guide the pole into the pvc pipe that you cut length wise. a pulley system would help raise and lower it but would also hold the "pole" in place up against the pvc pipe that is cut length wise.

Makes sense to me. I envisioned cutting the pipe in such a way to create a channel for the pole to lay in.

The only problem I have is that there's a tree on that side of my house and it's pretty tall, a good bit taller than my roof. I'll have to have it topped or removed altogether. It's a gum tree and it drops tons of ugly seeds everywhere.
photo-1.jpg

Sorry for that humongous picture! I tried to delete it but there doesn't seem to be a way for me to delete it.

lol ohh no problem :) wow those are seeds??? I have never seen anything like that before. trees are a pain when it comes to this stuff :( if you can top it off easier then cutting the whole tree down then that's what I would do

also yes that's what I was trying to say a "channel" for the pole. :)

Reactions: Elton Hammonds

You know, if you have an air compressor, you could probably use a hinged system and an air ram to do the heavy lifting. You would just need to run a couple synflex airlines under the eaves to the air cylinders. Looks like you can buy everything you need on Amazon, and fairly cheap too it appears.

You know, if you have an air compressor, you could probably use a hinged system and an air ram to do the heavy lifting. You would just need to run a couple synflex airlines under the eaves to the air cylinders. Looks like you can buy everything you need on Amazon, and fairly cheap too it appears.

yes that would work or even an electric actuators, that could raise and lower a pole without pulleys :)

Both of those ideas are great, I love the idea of the air ram but that's too involved for me...I want simple and easy.

The electric actuator sounds like just the thing, I didn't even consider that! I could use a rocker switch to raise and lower the antenna and still take the whole setup down.

I will document all of this when I start on it, unfortunately it won't be for a little while. My wife is having health issues and is in and out of the hospital so most of my time is spent taking care of her at the moment.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
yup that would work :) and fairly easy to set up too :)

sorry to hear about your wife :( I hope she gets well soon!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu