DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My amp/antenna build and distance test (I will update thread as i go)

Thank you guys for the well wishes!

She was diagnosed with Leukemia in February '17, she had 3 separate chemo treatments since then but relapsed after every one. They did a bone marrow transplant 4 months ago and so far she's cancer free but has had some serious ongoing complications.

It's really been a nightmare in a once perfect life. Not to be a bummer...we're both in very good spirits and optimistic for the future.

I will be working on this antenna project little by little and will document my progress in a separate post.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
I thought I would post an updated I been busy so I haven't had time to fly much :( BUT I hope to be flying in again about in a week :) I will get back to my distance tests :) so check back here or my you tube channel :)

Been wondering what happened to this. I'm still going to replicate what you're doing just have to take care of other things first.

Anyone have an idea which setup would give me more distance? 4hawks Raptor SR with 2W Sunhans Dual band boosters or just a 4hawks Raptor XR? I have the SR on my Mavic Air RC and flying from a low lying area with trees all around me, I get about 3000 feet before the signal cuts out.

Anyone have an idea which setup would give me more distance? 4hawks Raptor SR with 2W Sunhans Dual band boosters or just a 4hawks Raptor XR? I have the SR on my Mavic Air RC and flying from a low lying area with trees all around me, I get about 3000 feet before the signal cuts out.

Elton Hammonds has the Raptor XR, he'll be able to give you better insight on that model. I have the Raptor SR and have only used it a couple of times, mostly in my neighborhood, but doubled my range where there were no obstructions. I bought this model because I got an incredible deal on it otherwise I would have bought the XR.

I don't have boosters yet, just haven't had the time to mess with it, but I would have to beleive the boosted SR would outperform the unboosted XR. Not sure why you wouldn't just buy the XR and boost that? There's not much of a price difference between the two.

Elton Hammonds has the Raptor XR, he'll be able to give you better insight on that model. I have the Raptor SR and have only used it a couple of times, mostly in my neighborhood, but doubled my range where there were no obstructions. I bought this model because I got an incredible deal on it otherwise I would have bought the XR.

I don't have boosters yet, just haven't had the time to mess with it, but I would have to beleive the boosted SR would outperform the unboosted XR. Not sure why you wouldn't just buy the XR and boost that? There's not much of a price difference between the two.

I suppose I could get the XR and boost it. I think it will take trial and error to see how I can push the signal through the deep trees. I have gotten 10K+ feet in open areas so I've come to the conclusion that its the area around my house that's the problem.

I suppose I could get the XR and boost it. I think it will take trial and error to see how I can push the signal through the deep trees. I have gotten 10K+ feet in open areas so I've come to the conclusion that its the area around my house that's the problem.

So you're dealing with lots of trees and wifi interference from your neighbors houses? If that's the case you may do better with an omni antenna, that's what Titan Drones recommends for that situation.

So you're dealing with lots of trees and wifi interference from your neighbors houses? If that's the case you may do better with an omni antenna, that's what Titan Drones recommends for that situation.
Its not really interference from other houses. I'm flying in 5.8 and when I go more than 3000 feet, the signal cuts out. Here are my range tests plotted on a map. Its more interference from trees than wifi I think.

Range.jpg

flying in 5.8 I would assume you mean that in ghz? ( frequency) if so keep in mind 5.8 dosent go as far as 2.4. if you can switch it to 2.4 to see if that helps some

flying in 5.8 I would assume you mean that in ghz? ( frequency) if so keep in mind 5.8 dosent go as far as 2.4. if you can switch it to 2.4 to see if that helps some
Excellent point and recommendation.

I'm waiting to try it, but I bought a couple 2w Sunhans amps that say they work with both 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz to connect between each antenna connector on my remote and each side of my Raptor XR antenna.

I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to try it out, but I hope it won't be too long.

Weird because I have previously flown in 5.8 GHz over 10K feet from more open areas. I’ll try some tests in 2.8 and report back.

Weird because I have previously flown in 5.8 GHz over 10K feet from more open areas. I’ll try some tests in 2.8 and report back.
2.4GHz will give you better penetration and distance (lower frequencies have less attenuation) The 5.8 GHz is better for highly congested WiFi areas (in town).

I have the Titan Switch for both my MPP and M2P and live in primarily flat terrain with some pretty steep rolling terrain in some areas. I like to be able to dip down "over the hill" to get a closer look at something. I lock the M2P on 2.4 GHz
DJI_0011.JPG DJI_0009.JPG

Another view down the Colorado River (official elevation is 504') from about 150'. Flat for the most part W A Y past battery capacity. About 10 - 15 miles one way. I have gotten near 20,000' on stock battery and just the 5 DB whips in the Omni amp flying down the side of the Colorado River
DJI_0016.JPG
Edit: changed elevation to 504' from 204' (poor proofreading :mad:)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98