DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why I do believe there's a HUGE problem with the Mavic Mini - Flew AWAY the 2nd day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry... I think we're all on the same boat, castaways... (or fly-aways, you decide). So... what are you doing then ?

Meta4, uploaded it to phantomhelp.com, please take a look if you wish: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

m80116, sorry for messing up your topic, I just thought my case was very similar to yours misfortune...

Have looked at your flight quickly in Airdata's HD Player ... sorry to say that everything visually so far points again at a "BlowAway".
Nothing special with this case from what I can see scratching on the data-surface in Airdata ... you kept the AC approx at 35m when
the blow away started in the end of the field close to the railway tracks, you drifted backwards between 0,5 to just over 3m/s with full
elevator input & in P-mode. Just before the tracks you initiated RTH which didn't help up the situation ... the AC gained some distance
from time to time but lost overall more.

Will not be definitive yet until I have looked into the finer details from the log ... but have to wait until tomorrow, or perhaps somebody
else have time to do it before me were it's daytime. Over & out ... nighty, nighty from Sweden.

... & no, your misfortune isn't the same as for m80116.

Hi slup, and thank you for taking a time to look into it!

I understand it was a strong wind affecting my flight. What I don't understand - why the АC lost video feed to the RC and the drone stopped responding to the stick commands, while the telemetry was still coming to the very same RC all that time. So it did not actually lost the connectivity completely. And why the drone was flying normally the first half of the flight with the same strong wind and at the same altitude, and then it gave up all the sudden?

Last edited:
Yeah ... saw already yesterday in the Airdata wind profile (for Spark) that the winds wasn't as high as you would expect with that kind of blow away ... some more fishy were going on.
Engine rpm ... anything maxed out? Suspect we need the DAT file for that or do you have any other way in your Igor software @sar104 ?

...What I don't understand - why the АC lost video feed to the RC and the drone stopped responding to the stick commands, while the telemetry was still coming to the very same RC all that time. So it did not actually lost the connectivity completely. And why the drone was flying normally the first half of the flight with the same strong wind and at the same altitude, and then it gave up all the sudden?

Usually the video stream is the first to go when you start to lose the connection ... when the first signs show up in the logs regarding degraded signal is when you were closest to the rail way & once on the other side over the private properties it degraded even more but never cut out completely. So it would have been possible that you lacked video feed but still had RC control.

In the first half of the flight you mainly didn't have to fight any wind, you had the wind from east so pretty much a direct tailwind when you headed down to the tracks.

I don't believe <wind>, as SAR has mentioned already that this was an issue in this case from his evaluation of the Controller to App logs.
I agree...if anything wind might have aided a RTH had a RTH occurred. I brought up the subject of wind because this thread has a wide audience many of whom are Mini owners and wind/blow aways seem to be a reoccurring theme for this new drone.

Mea Culpa for straying.

Gentlemen, thank you for looking into my case and for your valuable inputs, really appreciate it!
This actually looks like another case of the Mini being unable to achieve appropriate tilt
It's an interesting observation, thanks! I can see a spike on the chart when the tilt went above 20°, must be the part when drone flew down the wind along the filed, but then it never exceeded it later, neither when I remained the control or when it went into RTH mode.
Usually the video stream is the first to go when you start to lose the connection ... when the first signs show up in the logs regarding degraded signal is when you were closest to the rail way & once on the other side over the private properties it degraded even more but never cut out completely. So it would have been possible that you lacked video feed but still had RC control.
When I look into my Airdata's log, it shows 100% RC connection for the most of the time, except the very last couple minutes, when it downgraded to 80%. And as far as I can remember, the video feed went off at about the same time as that "Not Enough Force/ESC Error" started to come. Was it a coincidence? Unfortunately, I can't say if the RC kept control at that time, all I can remember I was super frustrated at that moment, and the AC seemingly did not react to any stick moves. And it's too bad that Mavic Mini RC lacks a hardware switch for the Sport mode (like the one on Spark's RC) , it could very useful in a critical situations like blow-aways...

Do you think you can attach the DAT file also ... below were you find it. It's ... FLY034 that's for this flight

Mobile device DAT files (DJI GO 4 & DJI Fly)

These are retrieved by the same method as the TXT logs. Under both iOS and Android they are in a subfolder, MCDatFlightRecords, in the folder that contains the TXT logs.

Managed to make a video from that last flight from the cached clips left in my iPad Mini. In this video, the drone was flying nicely under my full control until 1:17, between 1:17 and 1:33 I was trying to fly it back, but AC would not go, and after 1:33 - the drone was struggling the wind in RTH mode (the playback in this part is 4 times faster). And the last 5 seconds on the video – the actual 5 seconds long clip the RC all the sudden received from the drone, when it already was drifted away and the video feed to RC was completely lost. I guess the little bugger was honestly trying its best to fight the wind and keep filming, but just could not cope with it…

Last edited:
After reading all the story, blog and various investigations from the little logs op's provided, we can clearly see the HUGE problem came from the OP, not the MM. Flying such a tiny drone out of VLOS, in a dense inhabited area, without training and testing before was if not now, about to fail sooner or later.
Rc models is not a "2 days" hobby, rf transmissions is a science and needs serious knowledge, as BJR981S pointed out. perhaps the mavic mini is not as robust as dji claims regarding rf transmissions, perhaps and it must be an evidence, that such a lightweight drone with so small bl motors and props, cannot fight wind as a mp, m2p or phantom can. Perhaps an rc model must be controlled only under vlos, if anything happens with a bird, a parasail, an antenna or simply a power line. All these things are so obvious. Anyone going straight 300 ft high with 10mph wind gusts on the ground, eager to fly 500m away in the city without line of sight, all this after only 3 batteries of training is simply an irresponsible operator.
I am not specifically talking about m80 who will probably understand, after some time, where he made it wrong, but in a general case. All the rc modellers knews this before it happened, when the market opened to "one day" consumers with drones promising the moon...
Anyway, have a safe flying, train before you go real world and PREPARE your flights before takeoff!

o you think you can attach the DAT file also ... below were you find it. It's ... FLY034 that's for this flight
slup, found and uploaded it, please take a look when you have a time... Thanks!

Attachments

• 2019-12-26_11-31-34_FLY034.DAT
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
After reading all the story, blog and various investigations from the little logs op's provided, we can clearly see the HUGE problem came from the OP, not the MM.
nicbonet, there is a lot of sense in what you said, and I personally always try to fly my drones safe and responsibly. And that's exactly why I hesitate now to fly my Mavic 2 Zoom anywhere near residential areas, as I don't have a trust in it since it drops connectivity to RC almost every time it is in the air.

But in my case of losing Mavic Mini - I already had a positive experience with flying it for a few days , and I have seen it handling a pretty strong wind nicely. And for that unfortunate day - it was actually the second flight in the same weather conditions (the wind was not awfully strong anyway, as one can see it my video), and the Mini was solid in the air, so I did not anticipate any trouble. And it was indeed flying as expected for the first half of flight, but then something went wrong. And I don't believe it was suddenly increased wind, as it stayed pretty much the same all the time. So I guess what we are trying to do here (with a help of very kind people from around the world) - it is to figure out what was the culprit (either technical problem or gruesome operator mistake), so the other drone owners could learn out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simmo
slup, found and uploaded it, please take a look when you have a time... Thanks!

Okay - this is another case of the Mini failing to achieve anything close to the specified tilt. The left back motor is maxed out, but the tilt is only around 10°:

Graph0.png

Very similar to this event. This is starting to look like a real hardware or firmware problem.

@BudWalker

Reactions: slup
Okay - this is another case of the Mini failing to achieve anything close to the specified tilt. The left back motor is maxed out, but the tilt is only around 10°:

View attachment 90063

Very similar to this event. This is starting to look like a real hardware or firmware problem.

@BudWalker
Is it always the left back?

Reactions: sar104

@BudWalker

This is puzzling. The chart shows that the revolution speed of the two motors at the back were substantially higher than those at the front. The tilt angle should have continued to increase although the drone might still be unable to overcome the wind or maintain altitude. It seems that for some reasons spinning the motors faster did not end up in stronger thrust. These are just sensor data, may be the motor did not physically turn faster ? May be some of the prop screws has loosen resulting in the pitch of the props reduced ? May be the metal plate on which the prop screws go has deformed ? prop defects ?

Last edited:
@sar104 couldn't the cause of not being able to achieve max tilt, with full motor power, be that other external force, i.e., the wind?
Or would/should the drone have enough power to tilt to spec, in any strength wind??

External forces such as wind and gravity can limit the achievable tilting angle if the center of pressure created by the air flow or the center of gravity do not conincide with the intersection between the diagonal lines joining the motors. I can't imagine basic design flaws of such kind occurring to DJI drones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots