DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yikes!

Too close for comfort . . .

Was going out getting video of the Durham Bulls Athletic Park this afternoon and got a visitor checking out my drone. **** thing even screamed at it as it flew by.
Luckily I went up to 400' feet and he left it alone after that. Kept a good eye on him and the drone after that pass...View attachment 82575
Great shot.

Yea thats to close for comfort I'm Surprised you didn't get clipped.
I was flying in my yard yesterday morning and noticed a Harris Hawk sitting on a rock about 30 ft from me. I brought the drone back to try and get a picture but when he heard it about 50 ft away he took off. Guess hawks don't like to get there picture took
:(

Yea thats to close for comfort I'm Surprised you didn't get clipped.
I was flying in my yard yesterday morning and noticed a Harris Hawk sitting on a rock about 30 ft from me. I brought the drone back to try and get a picture but when he heard it about 50 ft away he took off. Guess hawks don't like to get there picture took
:(
Sure they do?

Attachments

• LRM_EXPORT_149148625031801_20190901_131734762-01.jpeg
    LRM_EXPORT_149148625031801_20190901_131734762-01.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 129
Pucker factor! You mention you were getting video but is this particular frame a still capture from video? Is the video itself worth posting?
Not really. The hawk shows up in 2 frames. He was flying by that quickly. One frame is his head, the next the wings, and then he's gone.
It's on my drone at work, so I'll have to pull it of tomorrow when I go in.
I'm just glad I wasn't flying our Inspire 2 at that moment. Who knows what he would have done to that!

Not really. The hawk shows up in 2 frames. He was flying by that quickly. One frame is his head, the next the wings, and then he's gone.
It's on my drone at work, so I'll have to pull it of tomorrow when I go in.
I'm just glad I wasn't flying our Inspire 2 at that moment. Who knows what he would have done to that!

Wow! Out of curiosity, what was your frame rate?

Hmm that look the hawk is giving looks familiar.....oh yeah, that's the same look my wife gives me when I forget to put the toilet seat down......

I was shooting 4k at 30fps.
Found another still I didn't know I had. Also realized I posted in the wrong forum. Was flying the Mavic 2 Pro that day.
this one shows a perfect shadow of the drone on the underside of his right wing.View attachment 83307
Huge wingtip of the bird... tiny shadow of a drone that’s supposed to be almost hit by the bird.... Hmmmm
This is looking more and more bogus

Looks pretty legit to me, it's a small hawk, their winglets can cover quite an area when maneuvering (like avoiding a drone) and the shadow looks reasonably in perspective.

2 video frames with subject and background that wouldn't be easily Photoshopped.

Sorry...not bogus. Here's the original video with the flyby, and him passing by lower after the near collision. I DON"T Photoshop.

You can see the hawk's shadow crossing the field in the video. You were lucky - a hawk cracked a prop on my MP once. I was lucky to fly it back...

This is why I always check the sky before I fly my drone for any hawk flying around. I never take off near an area closer to hawks.

I wanted to share this, put up a new thread in photos / videos.
On an adventure in the Australian outback when my MP attracted the interest of a Peregrine Falcon.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure