DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s An Air2S Temps fate and loses. The Flight of Icarus. A Lesson on What Not To Do with Your Drone! DJI comments.

cgmaxed

Reactions

This is a hyperlapse of a sunrise above the clouds during a high altitude climb and descent. The unknown pilot posts this video with a warning. Do not attempt a hyperlapse at high altitude when the battery can't sustain the flight time needed for the making of the hyperlapse. If needed cancel the hyperlapse when the battery reaches a point of literally no return. Cancel the hyperlapse and land ASAP. This drone, an Air2S, suffered the fate of Icarus. It went up, saw the sun, and fell to it's demise. The pilot, knowing the inevitable, moved the aircraft over an empty grassy field. He/She knew the drone would eventually freefall. The empty field was chosen for the safety of people, property and easy drone retrieval. Luckily, Care Refresh was still active.

--DJI COMMENTS ON YOU TUBE--
"... Thanks for showing us this great video at such a price. We are sorry to hear about the experience on your drone and want to tell all our customers that please pay attention to your real-time battery level on the APP. Provided there are anythings that need my assistance, please don't hesitate to tell us."

Last edited:
"Luckily, Care Refresh was still active."

I can't see that DJI would be willing or obligated, to cover a drone that crashed as a result of the pilot knowingly pushing the battery to the shutdown point.
They cover it. To them, it's just a crash. It may be from pilot error, but it's still just a crash.

Edit: they did cover it. The owner had to pay a replacement fee. Instead of the repair fee, the owner went with the replacement fee. I'll ask what exact damages occurred to the drone and let you know later.

Last edited:
Controlling a drone and intentionally pushing it to thousands of feet ... I just have to shake my head. With idiots like this flying drones, no wonder we casual drone owners have the FAA 1984ing us.

Was the altitude even legal?

This is a hyperlapse of a sunrise above the clouds during a high altitude climb and descent. The unknown pilot posts this video with a warning. Do not attempt a hyperlapse at high altitude when the battery can't sustain the flight time needed for the making of the hyperlapse. If needed cancel the hyperlapse when the battery reaches a point of literally no return. Cancel the hyperlapse and land ASAP. This drone, an Air2S, suffered the fate of Icarus. It went up, saw the sun, and fell to it's demise. The pilot, knowing the inevitable, moved the aircraft over an empty grassy field. He/She knew the drone would eventually freefall. The empty field was chosen for the safety of people, property and easy drone retrieval. Luckily, Care Refresh was still active.

• Angry
Reactions: Smooth Rhythm
This "Pilot" was stupid, and reckless, for even attempting this, much less putting it out there for viewing. Crap like this, is one of the reasons we're being over regulated.
Not only was he openly flouting UAV regulations, he, apparently, had no experience with the drone, or it's Hyperlapse function.
Honestly, Brother, I refuse to post ANYTHING I come across, like this. It only encourages the idiots doing it, plus, it also gives new pilots bad ideas. Just my opinion.

This "Pilot" was stupid, and reckless, for even attempting this, much less putting it out there for viewing. Crap like this, is one of the reasons we're being over regulated.
Not only was he openly flouting UAV regulations, he, apparently, had no experience with the drone, or it's Hyperlapse function.
Honestly, Brother, I refuse to post ANYTHING I come across, like this. It only encourages the idiots doing it, plus, it also gives new pilots bad ideas. Just my opinion.
I don't know, seeing it makes me not want to do it, considering he lost the drone, or crashed it I mean. Cool footage, but let someone else do it. I like my Air2S. I'm not gonna lose it just to take a shot like this. My acquaintance, the guy who sent it to me didn't seem to care.

This entire video is BS, a air2s would just force land... click bait and annoying.
I was told it was a modded and hacked drone. So, it could have been done. I asked the guy to send me the video so I could post it on my YouTube channel (some are mine, others are not), so you all could see WHAT NOT TO DO, with your drones. They have been made the way they have been made for safety reasons, but he's always tinkering. He said it crashed, I'm taking his word for it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803