DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
New user here. But I too have been asked by the app to calibrate compass every single time I on my first three flights. The instructions on how to actually calibrate are not very clear in the app.

And I think of the three YouTube videos I have see, each have shown three totally different methods of how to do this. Nothing clear on DJI website either.

Check out these three videos. which one is the correct way to calibrate??

So I still don't know exactly how you are supposed to do it. And it is a pain to do it everytime. But I guess not as much of a pain than it would be if My Mavic Air flew off South all by itself!!!
Same question, how are you being “asked”? If it’s the fact that the app opens with a with a box around “calibration” then you are not being prompted to do a calibration, this is just a shortcut to calibration if you wish to do one. You only ‘have’ to do a compass cal if the app has compass cal required either highlighted red or yellow in the top left.

If it doesn’t actually ‘ask for a compass calibration’, the most important check is that the direction arrow of the drone in the bottom left, aligns with the physical direction of your drone.

Same question, how are you being “asked”? If it’s the fact that the app opens with a with a box around “calibration” then you are not being prompted to do a calibration, this is just a shortcut to calibration if you wish to do one. You only ‘have’ to do a compass cal if the app has compass cal required either highlighted red or yellow in the top left.

If it doesn’t actually ‘ask for a compass calibration’, the most important check is that the direction arrow of the drone in the bottom left, aligns with the physical direction of your drone.

It is definitely telling me to calibrate compass - a red alert top left on the actual app main HUD screen

So I still don't know exactly how you are supposed to do it. And it is a pain to do it everytime. But I guess not as much of a pain than it would be if My Mavic Air flew off South all by itself!!!

I do it like the last one. The first one looks ridiculous. The second one looks too complicated. The last one looks like you almost know what you are doing.

It is definitely telling me to calibrate compass - a red alert top left on the actual app main HUD screen
Are you always flying from the same location? Are there large areas of concrete around - reinforced steel is a source of interference. Are you near an extension to a house that used metal in the frame? I’ve found that being to close to my house’s conservatory extension is enough to interfere with the compass.

Ok, I think I've solved the compass issue (having to recalibrate before every flight) by re-installing the firmware via the Assistant. You think that firmware would be... firm, but it sure feels soft to me. Anyways, I did not have to recalibrate the compass today before I flew.

Ok, I think I've solved the compass issue (having to recalibrate before every flight) by re-installing the firmware via the Assistant. You think that firmware would be... firm, but it sure feels soft to me. Anyways, I did not have to recalibrate the compass today before I flew.
I had to recalibrate for the 1st time today, once. Went through 5 batteries and it did not ask again.

I also have had to calibrate my Air a lot, probably every 2 out of 3 flights. And by "have to", I mean it physically won't take off without it.

I have been on a road trip, and my physical location normally changes significantly in between flights. But I also have experienced having to recalibrate after only traveling a couple miles. I've also experienced difficulty getting the unit to calibrate. Sometimes I've had to walk for some distance, even when there was no obvious interfering objects nearby. Its a hassle, because when you are ready to fly and it forces this, you have to make the best of your current location, even if it isn't ideal.

1. When it forces calibration, go to the menu in the app where it says Calibrate.

2. After clicking Calibrate, the app gives you instructions with diagrams showing you what to do.

3. Hold the aircraft with the bottom to the ground. Turn in a 360 degree circle until the lights flash.

4. Point the aircraft nose to the ground, turn in a 360 degree circle until calibration is finished.

I find the procedure quick and easy. Its only a hassle when there is interference and it doesn't work and I have to go walking around looking for a better spot.

New user here. But I too have been asked by the app to calibrate compass every single time I on my first three flights. The instructions on how to actually calibrate are not very clear in the app.

And I think of the three YouTube videos I have see, each have shown three totally different methods of how to do this. Nothing clear on DJI website either.

Every time I power up my Mavic Pro it will indicate a need to recalibrate compass regardless of a successful calibration performed the previous day. So because of this I now ignore this message and only recalibrate monthly but make sure on takeoff that the homepoint is established

Every time I power up my Mavic Pro it will indicate a need to recalibrate compass regardless of a successful calibration performed the previous day. So because of this I now ignore this message and only recalibrate monthly but make sure on takeoff that the homepoint is established
Brave or......???

Can someone who is being forced to calibrate try re-installing the latest firmware and see if that helps?

FWIW, I have changed countries. Whileni was in Australia, I had to calibrate all the time. Now I'm in islands of Indonesia ... No calibration requests anymore. I performed it once, then haven't moved too far since. Tomorrow I go to the other side of the island. Maybe its sensitive to location

Hello.

I was having the same serious Mavic Air calibration problem. It got to the point that the calibration procedure always went wrong and could not fly. Until yesterday I was able to solve the situation. :)

I called Dji's support to explain what was going on and what they recommended was:

Go to DJI - products (mavic air) site to download DJI Assistance and then refresh the firmware or restore the source settings.

I've tested it in a few different places and to date everything is fine, it did not give me more problems. I hope this helps somebody.

Attachments

• 35295413_10156619152753896_2345899519188664320_n.png
    35295413_10156619152753896_2345899519188664320_n.png
    495.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Captura de ecrã 2018-06-26, às 12.08.43.png
    Captura de ecrã 2018-06-26, às 12.08.43.png
    1 MB · Views: 56
Reactions: iBallesty and Jahul
Thanks swooshdave and NunoFrederico!
My Mavic Air asked for compass calibration after each battery change, pretty annoying!
My firmware was updated the day I unboxed my drone via dji go app, but it stil asked for calibration before each flight and at some point I wasnt able to perform it successfully, meaning no take off...
I found that thread, downloaded and installed the dji assistant and used it to refreshe the firmware.
Now everything’s fine, I flew 6 batteries in 3 different locations and had not any issues since.

Thanks for the tip and hope it will help others!

The first time I had the problem I refreshed the firmware and it worked for a while. I'm now getting the compass errors again (red). Updating the firmware is not working.

Anyone knows difference between Mavic Pro and Mavic Air with respect to how it uses GPS and how communicates with phone? I have both drones and ask this because I have not been able to fly my Mavic Air outside of the US because it never calibrates compass when abroad (and I know examples of others with same problem). I think it has to do with the phone, in a different cell network? Tried Cell Data off and tried Airplane Mode. No problems with the Mavic Pro abroad or the Mavic Air here in the US. Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242