DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI mavic mini / mini 2 uncontrolled descent

Pebblebuoy

Reactions
Hi everyone, I am a new DJI mini 2 owner.

I have seen lots of posts/videos etc about the original mavic mini uncontrollably descending, particularly into water. I would love to fly over water to get some shots but of course do not want to risk this happening to me. I have searched online to see if this issue was resolved or is not an issue for the mini 2 but have not found anything. Does anyone know if this is still an issue for the mini 2?

Reactions: Drone Views Media

I have seen lots of posts/videos etc about the original mavic mini uncontrollably descending, particularly into water. I would love to fly over water to get some shots but of course do not want to risk this happening to me. I have searched online to see if this issue was resolved or is not an issue for the mini 2 but have not found anything. Does anyone know if this is still an issue for the mini 2?
A lot of this has to do with drone operators flying low over water ...the sensors get confused. It's best not to fly too low, but if you do, keep it in VLOS .....and have your fingers ready to pull up in case it drops

Reactions: Thomas B
I have the mini 2 and have flow for a short distance off the water to get to a lighthouse. (a 150 ' distance at 3' off the water) it didn't give any indication that it wanted to suicide into the water...
But there are a lot of cases where drones (any drones) don't like flying close to water

Yes, I recently encountered this anomaly and fortunately not over water.

I flew my Mavic Mini a mere 20 yards from me on my street (asphalt) and it descended regardless of what I did with the left stick position despite the battery being ~90%. It resulted in me changing plans and packing my Mavic 2 Pro to take on vacation.

No harm came to it or any property; it lightly touched down on the street; but it was not a controlled landing. I did not press return to home - nothing - just weird behavior. I tried to gauge if there was a down draft and did not detect anything noteworthy.

I took off again and did a hand landing as it tried to descend again.

~70 degrees F ambient temperature, and a mild breeze < 5 mph; much less than I encountered when I flew this drone trouble free on a beach in Cancun (several times). I took out my Mavic 2 Pro immediately after and it worked flawlessly; flew fine, no warnings about wind or anything - event free.

I'll give it a shakedown over the weekend (recalibrate everything too) now that I'm back. If it presents this anomalous behavior again, I'll change the props and if it continues, DJI Refresh.

I just took my MM out for the shakedown and it reported maximum load; I suspect the props - but unsure. Swap time.

Recommend you consider getting the Mini 2 Rescue Jacket to fly over the Water , if you have means of retrieval and getting the Wet Suit which protects the Sensors from getting confused by reflections .

We have some nice videos on the Phantomrain.org on how that works.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

It was a problem with the original Mini, that was fixed with a firmware update, a while after release.
It had nothing to do with flying over water and happened anywhere.
It's not an issue with the Mini 2.

It was a problem with the original Mini, that was fixed with a firmware update, a while after release.
It had nothing to do with flying over water and happened anywhere.
It's not an issue with the Mini 2.
Do you have a link where DJI confirm this?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan