DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Repair Scam - I have had "enough" I am suing !

I was bumped up. Everyone concurred with my situation. I spoke to the Manager (Todd) in New York, he told me, it would be addressed in a few hours. Its has been days and i have not heard anything, I have called and nothing has happen.

That's not really bumped up. They have no power at all. They can only send an email to someone else that could make a decision. When I say bumped up, I mean their legal department in CA.

I’ve purchased a number of DJI quads over the last few years, I will never buy their Refresh or send any drone back to DJI for repair. When buying new, I only recommend purchasing from a brick and mortar or online retailer offering a lenient return policy as most issues will surface either right out of the box or shortly thereafter.
Most of us don’t earn a living flying these and/or spend our life savings on these things. If one has a crash, there’s a few members on this forum that can usually fix it for a nominal fee. The aggravation and nonsense created by DJI is just not worth dealing with, I don’t care how much money one spent. It’s unfortunate when making a purchase of a DJI product, one must assume they’re on their own, no warranty and no place to turn other than a refund for returning a product.
This is a hobby/adult toy, yes I thoroughly enjoy flying but my time isn’t going to be spent chasing down DJI when all of us have been forewarned by the experience 100s of others that have gone down this same path countless times.

Last edited:
Wow!!! You have generalized everyone think as you do. With all due respect, everyone has different thought processes when making a purchase. Please do not assume or categorize everyone having the same experience, the capability for fixing a drone or think as you do.

First of all, I was not forewarned of DJI’s customer service being disastrous. I am a newbie and I was excited about buying a drone. I reviewed all the positives and fail to review the customer service issues. I looked at the DJI Inspire Pro as being the best drone in the market at that time. And they have a warranty in place if something happens. I fail to review customer service issues. I have learned a lesson. If I knew of DJI’s customer service issues, I would not have spent upwards of $7,000.

Warrantees are put in place to increase customer confidence to purchase their product by guaranteeing their products are being at the highest standards. Subsequently, the warrantee gives companies the opportunity to generate more revenue. Warranties are used as a tool to attract more customers like me. If there was no warrantee in place at DJI, I would not have purchased their products.

Example: If you purchased a brand-new car and the car had a manufacturer’s defect. Would you take it to an outside mechanic to be fixed or take it back to the dealership to be covered under its warranty? I understand it takes time and effort to have your drone serviced at DJI, but there is nothing wrong with sending your drone to be serviced under the company’s warranty policy. If you opt to fix your drone outside of DJI warranty policy, that is a personal choice. Most times, if you fix your drone outside of their warranty policy, you will void the warrantee all together. So be careful when doing so. When the warranty period is up, I totally agree with you. I will look toward this blog and others to fix my drone. Hopefully, I will have built up the experience as you have to do it myself.

Unfortunately, DJI does not live up to the standards at which they put in place under their warranty policy. Instead, they are:

1. Unorganized,
2. They create bogus charges to offset their warrantee cost or they are trying to generate revenue from warrantee issues.
3. They have lost customers drones and gave them mixed parts.

Fortunately, I live in the US where there is a legal system in place to protect consumers like me and keep companies like DJI honest. It’s unfortunate for the rest of the world because these types of issues are rarely enforced.

As I said before, I love my DJI Inspire Pro drone, it’s the customer service issues. If DJI can get their customer service care much better, they can be as their dream company “Apple”.

Last edited:
I never had a customer service issue before, so I called DJI to let them know the problem. During my conversation with DJI representative, I explain the problem with my remote and the representative requested i send my entire drone. I thought it was strange too, because there was no problem with my drone or my camera. The service tech insisted that everything needed to be evaluated. I took pictures of my drone before I sent it to DJI.
Don’t even send them the drone even if they ask you to. I needed to replace the charger for my Goggles and they requested to send everything including my drone. Obviously I didn’t do that and only sent the charger and I received a warranty exchange a week later.

Glad I saw this thread today. I have requested a refund on my Refresh plan that I purchased yesterday.

That's not really bumped up. They have no power at all. They can only send an email to someone else that could make a decision. When I say bumped up, I mean their legal department in CA.

Do you know DJI's address in Cali. They have moved and they keep their address hidden.

Early October my bird dropped out of the air and sent mine in. Got the same email indicating parts etc. They shipped a refurbished unit and allowed a full transfer of 2 replacements though DJI care for the new Mavic. No deductible, no stress and I received my Mavic within 2 1/2 weeks. All I needed to do was contact DJI support for the warranty transfer. What bothers me is why other fellow Mavic owners are having such an end of spectrum experience from mine is ludicrous. Hope they resolve your issue soon.

I was having some camera problems with my MP. They asked me to send back everything, including the remote. I just sent them the aircraft without the props. They didn't mind.
Moral of the story: Send only the parts that you think are required for the repairs. Or else DJI will either break them or lose them.

Do you know DJI's address in Cali. They have moved and they keep their address hidden.

You need to send a certified copy to their agent of record. You can do an online business search for CA for this information. When I last spoke to them, they were looking into changing the agent of record as they claimed they never received my "information" from them (I emailed it directly to their corp attorney so that claim was moot).

I checked and it's all the same:

Business Search - Business Entities - Business Programs | California Secretary of State

Type in DJI and it's DJI Technology Inc.

Keep their address hidden? YUP! They sure do!

What bothers me is why other fellow Mavic owners are having such an end of spectrum experience from mine is ludicrous. Hope they resolve your issue soon.

I think everyone agrees with this. I've had bad service and several great experiences with DJI. Personally, I blame their management for not being more in control. Seems to me that they probably just need to increase their checks and balances when it comes to service and they could easily improve everything.

I have a situation where I have my own INSURANCE (State Farm). My drone had a small crash from 3 feet. ONLY THE GIMBAL MOUNT WAS BROKEN. I sent it for repair, have a chat session where I asked if my drone was NOT repairable I would be given the option to get it back. However, I was told MY DRONE WAS BEING REPAIRED - THAT MY DRONE WAS BEING RETURNED - EVEN THAT MY DRONE WAS Q/A TESTED - yet I received back a drone that is not my serial number and not my drone. State Farm will no longer insure me without my SPECIFIC drone SERIAL NUMBER. I need to know if ANYONE can point me in the right direction. I was lied to - given false information and from what I can read about the law on consumer products - this is FRAUD. From what I can read - it seems that they could make the choice to replace my drone with a refurbished product but they have to give me the choice to get back my drone or to accept a refurbished one. To make matters worse - the one they sent me is DEFECTIVE - One of the bottom Sonar's Sensors makes an AUDIBLE clicking noise. I also have a contract to do $20k of work - I need my drone back in order to do this. If I am on a property and I am using a drone that is not mine and do damage, State Farm will not insure me. I don't understand how a company like this wants to treat customers like this. THIS IS SUCH CLEAR FRAUD - AND I AM TIRED OF BEING TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF This is ridiculous the way this company treats people. I immediately called them and for a week now, I have been pushed around from China to New Jersey and I can NOT get a clear answer. First they said it was repairable and charged me for it. Then after I got it back and the Serial Number changed - I call them and am told that it was NOT repairable. This is a bunch of LYING CHINESE PEOPLE overseas who only care about ripping us off. Can someone give me advice here - is there a case I can be part of. Contact me here or at [email protected]

Over the last year or so I have had a few minor "accidents" with my DJI drones (I have P4, P4P, Inspire 1 V2.0, Mavic, Spark). Each time, even though it might be a warranty issue or a very minor repair, they send me an invoice for some $500 to $600 with listed replacements of body, landing gear etc etc that in no way needed repair. I DO have DJI care on everything. Then they tell me that if I want to use DJI Care it's (whatever deductible is). I usually pay this ransom. Recently I had a gimbal bracket fail on Mavic Pro. Gimbal is fine, ribbon is fine, camera is fine. Again they send a $600 repair invoice replacing almost everything. I call and email for weeks. Finally get to "Jake" in China. he says "no worries", it would be warranty and I'll send you an email and take care of it. No email. I call and email 6 more times, get chased in circles, each time with DJI saying they'll contact "Jake". Over a month they have my Mavic !

The plan that DJI has is most people would simply pay (whatever) just to get their Mavic back.

This is systemic and intentional by DJI.

On Wednesday I will bring a fraud RICO lawsuit in United States District Court which will likely turn into a class action.

Those that have similar issues can feel free to contact me. I am not looking to other "victims" to help with legal fees. I have that handled.
Over the last year or so I have had a few minor "accidents" with my DJI drones (I have P4, P4P, Inspire 1 V2.0, Mavic, Spark). Each time, even though it might be a warranty issue or a very minor repair, they send me an invoice for some $500 to $600 with listed replacements of body, landing gear etc etc that in no way needed repair. I DO have DJI care on everything. Then they tell me that if I want to use DJI Care it's (whatever deductible is). I usually pay this ransom. Recently I had a gimbal bracket fail on Mavic Pro. Gimbal is fine, ribbon is fine, camera is fine. Again they send a $600 repair invoice replacing almost everything. I call and email for weeks. Finally get to "Jake" in China. he says "no worries", it would be warranty and I'll send you an email and take care of it. No email. I call and email 6 more times, get chased in circles, each time with DJI saying they'll contact "Jake". Over a month they have my Mavic !

The plan that DJI has is most people would simply pay (whatever) just to get their Mavic back.

This is systemic and intentional by DJI.

On Wednesday I will bring a fraud RICO lawsuit in United States District Court which will likely turn into a class action.

Those that have similar issues can feel free to contact me. I am not looking to other "victims" to help with legal fees. I have that handled.

Reactions: capri404
I have a situation where I have my own INSURANCE (State Farm). My drone had a small crash from 3 feet. ONLY THE GIMBAL MOUNT WAS BROKEN. I sent it for repair, have a chat session where I asked if my drone was NOT repairable I would be given the option to get it back. However, I was told MY DRONE WAS BEING REPAIRED - THAT MY DRONE WAS BEING RETURNED - EVEN THAT MY DRONE WAS Q/A TESTED - yet I received back a drone that is not my serial number and not my drone. State Farm will no longer insure me without my SPECIFIC drone SERIAL NUMBER. I need to know if ANYONE can point me in the right direction. I was lied to - given false information and from what I can read about the law on consumer products - this is FRAUD. From what I can read - it seems that they could make the choice to replace my drone with a refurbished product but they have to give me the choice to get back my drone or to accept a refurbished one. To make matters worse - the one they sent me is DEFECTIVE - One of the bottom Sonar's Sensors makes an AUDIBLE clicking noise. I also have a contract to do $20k of work - I need my drone back in order to do this. If I am on a property and I am using a drone that is not mine and do damage, State Farm will not insure me. I don't understand how a company like this wants to treat customers like this. THIS IS SUCH CLEAR FRAUD - AND I AM TIRED OF BEING TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF This is ridiculous the way this company treats people. I immediately called them and for a week now, I have been pushed around from China to New Jersey and I can NOT get a clear answer. First they said it was repairable and charged me for it. Then after I got it back and the Serial Number changed - I call them and am told that it was NOT repairable. This is a bunch of LYING CHINESE PEOPLE overseas who only care about ripping us off. Can someone give me advice here - is there a case I can be part of. Contact me here or at [email protected]

There is nothing in the out of warranty repair policy that indicates that you are to be given a "choice" as to whether you get your drone back or accept a refurbished one once the repair is agreed to by you which you do by authorizing the payment.

Specifically, it says "DJI will not start repair until you agree to the cost for repair quoted by DJI. If you disagree with the cost for repair, DJI will return the product(s) with you burdening the cost of return shipping." and "Please note that products and components presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired. These refurbished goods have been tested and are similar to brand new goods in function and appearance. If any refurbished parts or units do not meet our quality assurance requirements, brand new parts or units will be issued. Any replaced parts may come with different serial numbers."

So if you agreed to the repair, you agreed to these terms. There's no fraud here.

Reactions: Qoncussion
I also have a contract to do $20k of work - I need my drone back in order to do this. If I am on a property and I am using a drone that is not mine and do damage, State Farm will not insure me.
Surely with a commercial policy, insurance companies would expect people to change or add equipment regularly.
Call them up and give them the new serial.

I was having some camera problems with my MP. They asked me to send back everything, including the remote. I just sent them the aircraft without the props. They didn't mind.
Moral of the story: Send only the parts that you think are required for the repairs. Or else DJI will either break them or lose them.
Exactly same hing happened to me. My issue was with camera sensor and they wanted everything bar the battery. I’ve only sent back the drone.

Are you sure they gave you a defective drone? Its normal for the sonar to make a audible clicking sound when placed on a flat surface.

No - I'm sorry - it's not normal - NOT AT ALL....besides having 2 other MAVICS my company owns and a Phantom 4 PRO - NONE of them made an audible clicking sound you can hear standing 2 feet away from it, it was interfering with my home wireless phone. Turning it on DJI Support heard it without me even putting in near - they admitted that it was NOT NORMAL. ALSO besides, audibly hearing it from feet away, when I mounted the GO PRO on the top, you could still just slightly hear it audibly with the motors in idle. Consider that with my work I land it on top of building for inspection - sometimes of air handlers, electronic inspection, etc. That interference would mess up my recordings. Bottom line is it's going back - and besides it's not the point - they STOLE my drone that I was told I was getting back - at NO time was I told I was getting a replacement - and the thread just lays out a LIE after LIE that it was fixable, it was quoted with specific parts and hours, EVEN that MY DRONE was Q/A'd. I don't have a problem with getting a Refurbished product - but let that be my choice and don't lie to me - I have no trust of this company.

Also - not sure if you have a business insurance plan via State Farm - but that is how the drones in my company are insured. I first contacted State Farm and they were in on each email. Because the drone was repairable, State Farm expected the same drone back. WITH the same serial number. So after contacted them to let them know what happened, the underwriting department sent this short statement: "The complete set of documents stated YOUR drone was fixable, being fixed, tested and returned. At no place in the documentation were you notified that it was not repairable. Because you are stating after accepting the return that it is a different serial number, there is potential fraud and we must protect ourselves by cancelling your policy. Please direct any questions to your agent". I can understand how they see it. To them it looks VERY fishy - all of the communication from DJI shows my drone was fixed - even q/a'd like i said before.
UPDATE - so at this point I've put a dispute in with AMERICAN EXPRESS for not only the repair - but the original purchase of the drone in September. I also contacted Pam Bondi's office in Tallahassee. After a brief phone call, the legal aid I spoke to said it does appear to be fraud, and filed a case and I had to send all of the documentation. She did refer to the APPLE case and that it could be used as precedence in this issue(I had already heard about this case). She went on to say - I did not even have "DJI Care" - I was PAYING for a SPECIFIC repair. She said if they truly stated that a REPAIR was being made and said to "YOUR DRONE", then it should be exactly as indicated. She closed letting me know they would review it and make a determination of how to move forward.

All you should need to do is give them the serial number of the new drone.

That's normal, it's how sonar works.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028