DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello.........and Goodbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendoforin

Reactions
Well after a grand total of five posts in a single thread, three days after joining and not having owned a single drone it seems my flying days are over ?.

I created this thread purely just to give a perspective from someone who is completely new and wanting to get involved in drone flight and photography. Let me tell you, it is a very depressing view right now. Maybe the future is brighter for those more established in the hobby or who live in Arizona possibly but not for me or I guess most people new to this.

After wanting to get into drones for a long time I decided now was the time to look into it sincerely and what I have been met with the last few days is a pretty bleak outlook regarding this hobby. Esentially it seems the curtain is beginning to come down pretty hard.

I watched a ton of YouTube videos, pretty much every single one of them starting with incredible shots from all over, rotating around buildings, flying over harbours and beaches. Beautiful images, enticing the viewer into this wonderful world.

None of which is now possible.

I can't get nice family shots on the beach. I can't fly over my local lake. I can't fly safely around the beautiful historic town I live in. Recreational areas are no longer possible. I never wanted to be THAT guy who broke the rules and knew if I ever took up the hobby I would abide by the rules and fly as safely as I possibly could. More importantly and some what ironically I also understand the need for such structure. There is I assume few here that would disagree we need rules in place for safety and common sense. However the fun has been sucked out of the hobby for me with such regulations. Yes I know I could grab a mini 2 and have some fun but as a professional photographer that drone was never going to be enough for me. Throw in the fact that my potential £1200 Air 2S would be void come Jan 2023 it lead me to a sour conclusion.

It seems I missed the boat and the carefree days of flying with only respectable rules are over. It's only going to become more Draconian and for me and many other out there (those that have done their research at least) thinking about this hobby it seems like it would be nothing other than a waste of time and money right now. Hopefully in a couple of years things may have ironed themselves out more, maybe there will be a 249g mini 4 with the specs of a 2s. But right now it feels like the technology is going at such a rapid pace that the authorities are struggling to catch up and in doing so are throwing out pretty severe measures just to keep some sort or order. There are very few people who actually want drones flying around.

I'm sorry for the waffle but it comes from a place of immense disappointment. I'm too late to the party, I know that and I appreciate the thread has little value other than to give an idea of the harsh reality facing new flyers. There is currently very little to entice people toward the hobby.

Thank you very much for the advice I have been given here and I'm sure you pilots will adapt, adjust and have many more years of happy flying ahead of you and hopefully the authorities will also adapt and make it more accessible for others to join in the fun.

Take care

Rich

Heya Rich,
Sad story mate.

But, there are as many places you can fly as places you can't.
It is all a matter of once you get a drone in the air, have that controller in your hands, learning the basics, you will be (would have been) hooked on it, and find places you can get some great fun and footage / photos.

Shame not to do so, it's not all doom and gloom, just have to pay attention to what you're doing, where you're flying etc, and there are plenty of tools (apps) out there to help.

So what's happening in Jan 2023 in the UK ?
Might have missed that, is it remote ID of sorts ?

It seems I missed the boat and the carefree days of flying with only respectable rules are over. It's only going to become more Draconian and for me and many other out there (those that have done their research at least) thinking about this hobby it seems like it would be nothing other than a waste of time and money right now. Hopefully in a couple of years things may have ironed themselves out more, maybe there will be a 249g mini 4 with the specs of a 2s. But right now it feels like the technology is going at such a rapid pace that the authorities are struggling to catch up and in doing so are throwing out pretty severe measures just to keep some sort or order. There are very few people who actually want drones flying around.
Your glass isn't just half-empty.
You are being far too pessimistic and not at all realistic.

Your glass isn't just half-empty.
You are being far too pessimistic and not at all realistic.
Would you care to elaborate? How so?

As I say I am new to the drone hobby so I am more than happy to be corrected on this. I WANT to fly. What is not realistic about what I said?

Rich, if you're still open to suggestions, mine would be, head over to Grey Arrows Drone Club, which is UK based and introduce yourself there. They are just as friendly as the members here. I'm sure someone in your area would meet up and let you see what you're missing. Seems a shame to give up before you get started.

That you can't see anything at all positive and have convinced yourself that drone flying is going to be impossible.
I can see a ton of positive to drone flying, it's the reason I decided to jump in finally. But if I can't take off from a beach or land in a park (generalising here but that's essentially what the recreational rules mean) then I am relegated to travelling unknown distances just to find somewhere to fly. And even then you have limitations.

I live in an area that is stunningly beautiful but if you take away the recreational areas and throw in the distance limitations they are all but eliminated.

I'm not taking away the positives from drone flying, the ever increasing rules are. I don't disagree with them, but you would have to be pretty ignorant to not see the noose is getting tighter and tighter.

Reactions: Firenginedriver
To say "the curtain is about to come down hard" is overly dramatic as are about 90% of the rest of your comments. Yes the hobby/industry is a LOT different today than it was 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 years ago but so is every other aspect of life. 4 decades ago I got started in this as a hobby with my father and it has given me some of the most amazing memories of my life (and I've had an amazing life). We adapt to changes and enjoy while we can.

Yes there are some places you can't fly a drone but there are some places you can't ride an ATV, drive your car, ride your horse, play your ball, shoot your gun.... and the list goes on and on.... But, there are many places you CAN do everything listed above. It's much more enjoyable to find ways you CAN do these things and contribute to your, and your family's HAPPINESS instead of naming the reasons you can't do something. Life is about DOING things and having FUN instead of excuses and why nots. Go buy a drone, learn how to fly safely, learn where you CAN fly and ENJOY seeing your life from a totally new and exciting perspective. I'm confident you'll be surprised how exciting life can be "out there living it".

Good luck and Best Wishes regardless what you chose to do going forward :)

@The Fat Controller thank you, I will do. Have not heard of them.

I really would like to participate but the rub is that I run my own business and have two small kids. Travelling great distances just to use my drone isn't really optional. I don't have the time. The truth is that the rules have eliminated so many potential experiences for me on my doorstep. Realistically how many places are there within reasonable travelling distance that are beyond 50m (soon to be 150m) of anyone and not recreational areas?
Woodland....no
Beach.....no
Parks and playing fields......no

Look, it's easy to have a certain perspective like most here who already have the equipment and the years behind them flying. I am asking from the perspective of a new hobbyist who is trying to decide whether to spend a grand and a half for these restrictions. It's not as easy to have such a shiny outlook on the situation.

I can see a ton of positive to drone flying, it's the reason I decided to jump in finally. But if I can't take off from a beach or land in a park (generalising here but that's essentially what the recreational rules mean) then I am relegated to travelling unknown distances just to find somewhere to fly. And even then you have limitations.

I live in an area that is stunningly beautiful but if you take away the recreational areas and throw in the distance limitations they are all but eliminated.

I'm not taking away the positives from drone flying, the ever increasing rules are. I don't disagree with them, but you would have to be pretty ignorant to not see the noose is getting tighter and tighter.

It's very possible that this hobby/industry isn't' a good fit for you. It's not for everyone and that, in no way, is a personal slam on you.

@BigAl07 with all respect, you claimed my original post is "90% overly dramatic"

Exactly how? I thought I was merely stating the current rules. I would argue that sentence is overly dramatic in regards to my post.

Rather than condescendingly making this about me personally maybe you could explain how it is possible to legally fly a drone now in the UK anywhere other than remote places? If there is some loophole or unspoken "common sense" rule I don't know about please enlighten me. I see you are from the USA so with all respect it seems that one thing people could do a little more if here is understand that every person has their own limitations based on geography and laws. Having someone from another country with different rules and regulations tell you you are being dramatic is a little condescending with respect.

@BigAl07 with all respect, you claimed my original post is "90% overly dramatic"

Exactly how? I thought I was merely stating the current rules. I would argue that sentence is overly dramatic in regards to my post.

Rather than condescendingly making this about me personally maybe you could explain how it is possible to legally fly a drone now in the UK anywhere other than remote places? If there is some loophole or unspoken "common sense" rule I don't know about please enlighten me. I see you are from the USA so with all respect it seems that one thing people could do a little more if here is understand that every person has their own limitations based on geography and laws. Having someone from another country with different rules and regulations tell you you are being dramatic is a little condescending with respect.

Please see post #10 sir.

Reactions: okw
I've only had trouble flying from one spot that required FAA autho and guess what there was a airport nearby (duh). I love flying, used to be rc now it's drones. If for whatever reason the FAA or Gov shuts me down I'll be satisfied with whatever shots I've collected and I'll move on to something else. Did I mention I love flying? It's very important to have a positive attitude toward the hobby, otherwise what's the point? No offense intended. Do it while you can. someday driving manually may be regulated because the car will drive itself, who knows. It doesn't take a huge investment to try.

Last edited:
With all due respect... did you come here and post a tome to say "Thanks but no thanks" to drone ownership, or do you actually hope to be talked into it?

I feel as if, once you had a drone in the house, you'd find places to fly without having to "Travelling great distances just to use my drone" and you could actually enjoy the experience.
Yes I know I could grab a mini 2 and have some fun
So then grab one and go fly. Lay aside your expectations of fantastic photos/videos, spend the least coin, and learn the hobby...

@BigAl07
Post #10 has zero relevance to anything I have said and doesn't answer a single question or point. But I see where this is going so good day to you sir.

Just to muddy the water further Amazon has in the last hour or so just knocked off £170 from the Air 2S o_O

We live in today's world, not yesterday's. One can always come up with reasons not to do things (too hot, to crowded, too far, too risky). My biggest regrets in life are not so much the things I did, but the things I didn't do. Your kids might enjoy some drives to a quiet setting to fly a drone, and I would bet the thing they would enjoy the most is being with you. Show them how to enjoy the world they are growing up in and will inherit. The glass is also half full.

I know I could grab a mini 2 and have some fun but as a professional photographer that drone was never going to be enough for me.
My original Phantom-1 wasn't enough for me, only because after it was loaded up with all the necessary accessories (Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal, Hero3 GoPro, Marco Polo tracker, video tx, etc.) I could realistically only get a few minutes flight out of it. So I had to buy several extra batteries, and a fancy more powerful battery charger that could charge them all at once. I had a ton of money invested in that thing, but it was still awesome!

Then I just had to get the Phantom 3 Pro when it first appeared because it was sooooo much better and combined all of those extra accessories already into a single much better product straight out of the box. I loved my P3P.

Then, boom, new regulatory restrictions were imposed on us. (Mod Removed) I can no longer fly either Phantom without jumping through all the new hoops expected by the Government. It's not that I couldn't do it. I'm not stupid. Many other people have passed the tests and registered their drones. I used to have a Private Pilot's Licence with night rating. I could certainly pass the drone test if I applied myself and studied a little bit. It's just the principle I object to.

My wife says, just stop complaining and take the stupid test already, it's just like a driver's licence. But it's NOT! I've flown model airplanes and drones forever with no need for a licence.

So now I fly a sub-250g Mavic Mini. It's far more portable than the Phantom, and as capable. I just need to pay attention to wind strengths and have never had a problem with it. No registration required here. Minimal gov't interference. I'm happy enough.

p.s. You might be pleasantly surprised at the photo quality with the Mini. Sure, in the right hands, fancier lenses are more capable of producing stunning photos. But, it's not the equipment, it's the photographer who frames the shots. Good photographers are just as capable of producing stunning shots using a cheap cellphone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an idea just now...

I suggest maybe spend just $150 (usd) and buy a Tello w/ Boost package. No GPS, no NFZ's... yet very stable, easy to fly, and TONS of fun! I fly mine in the house, in the shop, in the barns, on the screened porch, in the back yard (garden to you :)) and practically anywhere I want that I feel is safe.

Also, it's a tough little bird... at first, I crashed mine so many times I quit worrying about it.... just go ahead and buy some spare props.

Reactions: NAVMAV and BigAl07
We live in today's world, not yesterday's. One can always come up with reasons not to do things (too hot, to crowded, too far, too risky). My biggest regrets in life are not so much the things I did, but the things I didn't do. Your kids might enjoy some drives to a quiet setting to fly a drone, and I would bet the thing they would enjoy the most is being with you. Show them how to enjoy the world they are growing up in and will inherit. The glass is also half full.
Hands down WINNER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998