DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My amp/antenna build and distance test (I will update thread as i go)

8BF74AA1-5D05-42BA-9F57-0E6AF24089F0.jpeg That’s what I do with the 20dbi, you can see the 14dbi panels before I removed the cords also

after some studying here is what I have learned With the connector point to the ground, it is a vertical polarized setup. Turn it 90 degrees, it will become horizontal polarized setup. so of course that is going to affect the "fan" out!!! So I would think the horizontal polarized would be a better way to go cause its a wider path ( more fan out ) ??? unless I am not understanding this correct?

check out the picture no wonder why my "fan" is sooo narrow!!! time to do some tweeking!!!

wireless-antenna-polarization.jpg

or better yet a dual polarized would be better :)

polarization-diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Managed to get this far with no amps on 5.8ghz using mavic cool helical 16 dbi antennas and kept he signal decided to try due to not trusting the battery to make it home View attachment 35794
Are you FCC or CE because I can get wayyy farther than that in my neighborhood stock, and yes, I am flying an air.

Drone user is FCC, hills and a lot of trees is his enemy.

Drone user is FCC, hills and a lot of trees is his enemy.

yes and ohhh its killing me!!! :( but I think we need to turn the panels 90 degrees!! :)

so today I am hoping to make new mounts and turn the panels 90 degrees :)

It will be interesting to see how that works for you. Of course the bird is still vertical polarized with the antenna in the legs.

It will be interesting to see how that works for you. Of course the bird is still vertical polarized with the antenna in the legs.

yes but the "fan" should be wider so technically I shouldn't have to be right on the bird

I am getting hammered with a snow blizzard so I don't know when I will be able to test :(

This is for another 14dbi panel I have 231C2519-0488-477D-A9A2-5BC77070D763.png but they all should have some vertical and horizontal I would think your should also

from my understanding a panel does not have some....:( its either vertical or horizontal depending on how the panel is mounted... even the specs you just posted said that too

I am almost done with my new mount :)

Flat Panel Antennas
Flat panel antennas are just that, configured in a patch type format and physically in the shape of a square or rectangle. Flat panel antennas are quite directional as they have most of their power radiated in one direction in both the vertical and horizontal planes. In the elevation pattern below, Figure 4, and in the azimuth pattern, Figure 5, the directivity of the plat panel antenna can be seen. Flat panel antennas can be made to have varying amounts of gain based on the construction. This can provide excellent directivity and considerable gain.

so why don't the panel specs say polarization vertical and horizontal? like the spec you posted?

i think that MAY have it both ways BUT only it has more "gain" in one polarization

The sheet in post #339 does, that is a spec for one of my panels not yours. But yours can not be that much different that does list vertical and horizontal

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmilonas