DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My amp/antenna build and distance test (I will update thread as i go)

ok here is my data for 6 dbi Omni antenna WITH 4 watt amps :) also I am going more by the HD signal then the controller signal. When I do these test I am sitting down in a chair in the same spot every time.. also since I started these test at a 150 feet high iam going to try to keep it that way too!

6 150.jpg

6dbi amp.jpg

ok here is my data for 9 dbi Omni antenna WITH 4 watt amps :) also I am going more by the HD signal then the controller signal. When I do these test I am sitting down in a chair in the same spot every time.. also since I started these test at a 150 feet high iam going to try to keep it that way too!

n9 150.jpg

9dbi amp.jpg

ok here is my data for 15 dbi Omni antenna WITH 4 watt amps :) also I am going more by the HD signal then the controller signal. When I do these test I am sitting down in a chair in the same spot every time.. also since I started these test at a 150 feet high iam going to try to keep it that way too!

15 150.jpg

15 dbi amp.jpg

as you know and can see ( by the data) if I go higher I can go out further :)

here is my furthest that is with the 15 dbi Omni antenna with 4 watt amps at a height of 361 feet

15 361.jpg

Last edited:
of course I loose HD signal way before I loose controller signal sooo I am going to have to do some more mods to fix that problem :)

I will test the 14 dbi panels hopefully next week :)

Don't you have the 8 watt amps too I'd use one on rx side see if it helps.

for the most part I am happy BUT without HD signal ( so you can see) the controller signal is kinda of worthless :( No I don't have 8 watt ones yet!..lol

as for signal errors I am thinking its picking up the wifi in the area meaning nearby house as the mavic is flying cause those signals would be strong then my if that makes any sense..lol

its going to be interesting on how the 14 dbi panels do!!!

Yea I'm curious too. How many degrees does it cover?

Some of those panels can get expensive. I wonder if they are higher quality.(work better)

as for how many degrees it cover...I don't think the ad said but I am hoping it fans out good enough! and ohhhh yes they can!!! of course I bought the cheap ones!!! lol lol

Don't you have the 8 watt amps too I'd use one on rx side see if it helps.
From the old days doing outdoor TV antennas and amps, I would bet the amps on the RX side of the controller would be of little use, as the signal gets degraded at distance, you would only be amplifying a bad signal at the remote. An RX amp wont replace missing or bad Data.
More TX power from the Mavic is the answer to that.

From the old days doing outdoor TV antennas and amps, I would bet the amps on the RX side of the controller would be of little use, as the signal gets degraded at distance, you would only be amplifying a bad signal at the remote. An RX amp wont replace missing or bad Data.
More TX power from the Mavic is the answer to that.

yes I was thinking that too but there is some debate on that whether it would help that much? and of course battery is other problem no sense being able to go 5 miles or so if you don't have enough to get back :( so there that mod battery mod I guess it just depends on how far a person wants to go with it...lol :)

The old man I did antenna work with always said, you cant amplify what isn't there. :D
Excited to see how far you get!

The old man I did antenna work with always said, you cant amplify what isn't there. :D
Excited to see how far you get!

lol that is very true!!! lol I almost have my panels mounted hopefully by the end of the nite I will have them done! then if weather is nice I will try to get out there and test them :)

test them sometime this week I mean

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rambezito