DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My amp/antenna build and distance test (I will update thread as i go)

15 dbi compare.jpg

I hope this helps :) people when they read this thread :)

Reactions: Mark10v
hello Droneuser, i havent read this whole thread as it is 22 pages but have read a few and like your work on your antennas, however, i have a question for you.
I got the MP, with the max mod antennas from drone world. I just got a few weeks ago, so i havent tried all the antennas and i am considered a rookie yet also.
My real question and idea i have is this:
I live in a small town, and have flown it a week or two here figuring out the distance and such. i can get close to a mile before i loose the signal due to hills, trees, etc...
I have alot of trees that will start growing leaves very soon around my house, right now its pretty bare yet as you live in this frozen tundra like i do and probably see the same thing, but this will change in a few weeks we hope.
If i were to build a 75 foot pole with mounting a remote antenna that plugs into the controller to get above these 70 foot trees in my neighbor hood. Have you or anyone heard of this kind of silly experiment? I truly believe if i would to get this antenna up above these trees i could fly for 4 mile radius around my house location. I am just guessing at this point, and i know there is some engineering to get the antenna that high without it falling on persons or property or power lines. I have asked Drone World before i ordered and they laughed at me and said they kind of looked into this senario, but they couldnt come out and say it was a good idea, due to many different levels i think.
Anyways, i got a bug in me to just possibly try to get this remote antenna up higher to see if this would work somehow, and i thought i would pick your brain a bit here.
thanks

Well I have thought about doing this too but one problem is the cables will have db loss how much well that depends on the type of cable that is used I know the good cables cost $$$ :( but if a person could come up with an wireless repeater ( like they have for wifi) that would be soo cool!! the good news is the mavic pro is 2.4ghz same frequency as wifi is :) using a wireless repeater type of setup you wouldn't have to worry about cable loss!! :) 75 feet that's a lot of cable to push 2.4ghz thru it even if its amped its a lot of cable :( one thing you could try if your house is two story is go to the second floor run a cable from there to the roof yes it may not be as high as the trees but it would help :)

I plan on playing with the wireless repeater idea this summer :)

but yes people have done things like that not sure about 75 feet tho :) there is a picture of a guy his setup that he has outside antenna on his building :) I don't recall what post that was in :(

I as well do similar, now flying out of second story window, plan is to mount antennas on roof with a remote pole for t.v.'s.1525173674914.jpg

I forgot to post my 14 dbi panel antenna results :)

14 compare.jpg

Well weather is killing me here :( I hope this weekend to do more flying :)

IMG_0557.JPGcant go any further without more battery.

wow that is really good!!! I wish I didn't have hills and trees!!! lol

As you can see I fly over woods but they are way out from take off. Think I might try one of those dragon/dove amps you guys are using just to see if any different. I did have to go a little higher because leaves are here.

ya that does make a difference and leaves suck!!! lol lol yes the 4 watt amps I am using seems to worked good so far and as you saw make a difference too!! I hope this week my "secret" comes in the mail !!! :)

Me too, you got me thinking.

you check out my youtubes I posted some of the video of my flights on there :)

ok I will be posting more :) and some of my parts came in that are for my "secret " :)

IMG_0179.JPG

I was reading about Passive relay wifi ( repeater) I am thinking a guy could maybe use one of the amps for that! This would be cool if it would work! no more long cable runs!

Passive relay : Wi-fi antennas Jirous.com

I would used Omni antenna on the amp out! and a panel antenna on the amp in for the passive relay

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair