DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My amp/antenna build and distance test (I will update thread as i go)

no problem and yes it will :)

just a note between the weather and the honey "to do" list I haven't had time to fly :( I hope sometime this week or weekend I want to try a different flight path and a few different things to :)

Well did a small flight today and tree leaves are killing me! ( which is no surprise...lol) I have a few ideas I am going to try will post once I get results :)

I have more parts coming in this week so hopefully this weekend or next for some tests :)

I got some of my parts in... I started the build! but with the weather I am getting its looking like it will be a few days before I can fly hopefully when its nice out again I will have the build done :)

here is a teaser pic! lol ( not the metal stand underneath ) just the wooden frame that is on top :)

stand.JPG

How high we going????

to the clouds!! lol lol I wish...lol its more like some where between 25- 30 feet hopefully it will help but **** cable is not cheap! even the cheaper stuff is not cheap :( lol hopefully my swr wont be to bad! ( without a meter cant check it if the swr is to high there will be more loss) but if the swr is ok the db loss will be about 1.5 watt :( so we will have to see how this goes! lol lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Rnl
What cable you go with

lmr-400 I measured today it will be 26 feet and 4 inches high BUT add the 15dbi antennas on that then it will be 28ish feet tall :) I cant go the full 30 feet otherwise I wont have any slack on the end for me to sit down :)

I am about 80 percent done with it :) hopefully this weekend I will get more of it done :)

I still have to add more bracing and the 15dbi antennas...but this does come apart so it portable if need :)

stand (2).JPG

pole.JPG

You could go old school and get a helium weather balloon tethered with 100 feet of 1/8inch rope and a small hand crank boat winch it will get you up there and is portable but only good for Omni antennas :)

You could go old school and get a helium weather balloon tethered with 100 feet of 1/8inch rope and a small hand crank boat winch it will get you up there and is portable but only good for Omni antennas :)

lol I may just do that! lol **** stand not going so well :( I have to modify it again...lol

to be honest I am not sure how much I will get gain its sounds high (20-30 feet) BUT I have trees that are higher :( So it will be interesting to say the least! lol lol I will post antenna data once I get the test done :)

just a note I hope to test this next week if weather is good! so far when its nice out its way to windy :( so I am hoping next week will be good! :)

unbelievable!!!!! if its not rain its sunny WITH a lot of windy!!! I should have bought a kite instead!!! lol lol

Well I finally had a break in weather and time to test flight tower ( 25ish feet 15dbi Omni antenna on a pole with 4 watt amps) I will have to say very interesting results! I will make a video with more detail next week and post it!

But I was loosing video feed BUT I think its was on the Mavic end! here is a screen shot notice the distance AND the HD LEVEL! The hd level is higher then the controller level!!! but I was getting inference a lot more ( blinking levels and a warning) but if I recall right I was getting a lot of inference with theses Omni 15 dbi antennas before! so I may have to try the Omni 9dbi antennas on the pole next! keep in mind I have tall trees with a lot of leaves!! so this is looking pretty good thus far!!! and I was only 260 feet high too!!!!

ant tower 15dbi.jpg

Well I finally had a break in weather and time to test flight tower ( 25ish feet 15dbi Omni antenna on a pole with 4 watt amps) I will have to say very interesting results! I will make a video with more detail next week and post it!

But I was loosing video feed BUT I think its was on the Mavic end! here is a screen shot notice the distance AND the HD LEVEL! The hd level is higher then the controller level!!! but I was getting inference a lot more ( blinking levels and a warning) but if I recall right I was getting a lot of inference with theses Omni 15 dbi antennas before! so I may have to try the Omni 9dbi antennas on the pole next! keep in mind I have tall trees with a lot of leaves!! so this is looking pretty good thus far!!! and I was only 260 feet high too!!!!

View attachment 39854

An omni antenna with that high of gain gives you great reach in the horizontal plane, but very little in the vertical plane.

Go back to that same spot in your screen clip and lower your altitude. You will see the signal performance increase significantly.

Or if you are only flying in one direction, tilt the antenna away from the flight direction a few degrees and you can maintain or increase your altitude.

Reactions: BarrySDCA
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose