DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My amp/antenna build and distance test (I will update thread as i go)

my thought is to put the passive relay on a pole 20 feet or so high! then the panel antenna ( amp in) would face toward the pilot that is on the ground! "theoretical" it should work!

I already have panels, amp , Omni antennas :)

Reactions: Rnl
Like your thinking, worth a shot.

ya its worth a shot I hope to run a few tests later this week with out the "pole" just to see if it will work

well I my "secret" in today hum I am not very sure on this! lol I think the seller has it marked wrong! good thing it was cheap...lol

anyways windy now maybe later I will test and we will see how this works!

I will post results when I test

ohh I will once the weather lets me now looks like rain :( but still to wind :(

Well I did get some flight time in :) so the secret was going to be this 18dbi Omni antenna BUT

This being an 18dbi Omni antenna I was not very impressed with it ( I had that feeling when I saw it) but it was cheap and worth a try :) so to sum it up to date the 15 dbi antennas have a little more BUT not much and they being sooo darn tall I would recommend the 9 dbi antennas :) best bang for the buck and not tall like the 15dbi antennas!

here is the data WITH 4 watt amps :) the chart got cutoff BUT you get the idea :)

18dbi amp.jpg

next plan is to run a modded app BUT without the boost ( I don't want to overdrive the amps) I want to try different freq to see if it will help :)

not good to overdrive them it will make them heat up even more!

Reactions: Rnl
as for the passive relay idea it has way to much db loss :( so back to the drawing board on that too! :(

Well, a friend of mine a Ham Radio guy moved to town so he offered his 65 foot Aluminium self supporting antenna tower to me with a tip base. So I guess I will incorporate it into my Minnesota location I normally fly from a open field on our property but now if I install the antenna I can fly from my shop. I will mount a 4g yagi on it also for better internet in the shop also. I also have flown from our golf cart and drive around to different locations and have flown from inside my Polaris ranger cab with external mounted antennas before also.

Reactions: beanbubba
wow that's what I need!! a tower!! lol lol where in Minnesota ?

Central Minnesota north of St Cloud, have a cabin also up by the Canadian Border also where I fly but always on the US side :)

Central Minnesota north of St Cloud, have a cabin also up by the Canadian Border also where I fly but always on the US side :)

ahh ok ya St Cloud is about 3-4 hours away from me so your kinda close to my neck of the woods :)

I am about 15-20 mins from La Crosse Wi if you know where that is at :)

Sorry to crash the thread... Are the antennas on the Mavic remote dual band or is one 2.4GHz and the other 5.8GHz?

I'm considering doing a control mod, but want to know if I need a 2.4GHz and a 5 8GHz booster or if I need 2x 2.4/5.8GHz dual band units. Thanks.

nooo problem crash away :) they are 2.4ghz on the mavic however a dual band antenna will work to :) just make sure its NOT just 5ghz only!!!!

yes mavic only tx and rx on 2.4ghz only when using the remote control

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002