DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VLOS rule makes flights boring - do you follow it?

When do you follow VLOS rule?

• Always

Votes: 101 38.3%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 86 32.6%
  • Sometimes, in certain situations

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • Very rarely

Votes: 26 9.8%
  • Never

Votes: 9 3.4%

• Total voters
Second question is: How many people in the drone community actually follow the rule? Vote in the poll!

I really only have 1 Reason after flying for years now of why I support VLOS and that is Bird Strikes , They simply cannot be negotiated because we just do not have enough camera angles to be aware . Because of this , I do my best to fly VLOS but I am not **** about it, sometimes I tie my shoe, other times I use the restroom with my drone hovering in the sky or I loose it for a hot minute , but most times I am trying to comply with the FAA but I do not stress over it as some do on the forum. Common sense will always be number 1 Rule for me #1

Flying in the Storms has created a lot of fun adventures for me , amazing pictures an sounds and Risk. For me I need some Risk , Storms / Rain / Lightning / Snow / Strong Winds , and with that comes Rewards . When you start talking to your drone to encourage it , you know your having fun. :cool:

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain / Snow and Land on the Water.

I really only have 1 Reason after flying for years now of why I support VLOS and that is Bird Strikes , They simply cannot be negotiated because we just do not have enough camera angles to be aware . Because of this , I do my best to fly VLOS but I am not **** about it, sometimes I tie my shoe, other times I use the restroom with my drone hovering in the sky or I loose it for a hot minute , but most times I am trying to comply with the FAA but I do not stress over it as some do on the forum. Common sense will always be number 1 Rule for me #1

Flying in the Storms has created a lot of fun adventures for me , amazing pictures an sounds and Risk. For me I need some Risk , Storms / Rain / Lightning / Snow / Strong Winds , and with that comes Rewards . When you start talking to your drone to encourage it , you know your having fun. :cool:

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain / Snow and Land on the Water.
When your drone starts replying is when the real fun begins.

Mike

Like the slogan between 3D pilots. If you never crash is because you don't fly hard.

One of my favorite pilots

Like the slogan between 3D pilots. If you never crash is because you don't fly hard.

One of my favorite pilots

I'd love to see a inset video showing his stick movements during that flight. Talk about quick as lightening and precision!! That's SKILLS!!

I am coming from flying 3D as well (not like Dunkan Bossion) but I can tell drones are super relaxing and easy to fly even FPV. If you can fly a 3D helicopter in all directions and orientations, you can fly anything. IMO.

I am coming from flying 3D as well (not like Dunkan Bossion) but I can tell drones are super relaxing and easy to fly even FPV. If you can fly a 3D helicopter in all directions and orientations, you can fly anything. IMO.
I will agree with that. 3d helis are haaaaarrrrrdddd. Lol

Strobes will really help with VLOS range.

My own focus is pro videography and photography, flying tends to be low and slow! I can see that others doing travel/scenic shots might want more range. Did I mention strobes?

Glad someone mentioned this.
Most here know a good 2-4 white LED strobe allows you to fly (especially) smaller drones a REASONABLE distance out and be able to spot it quickly, when lookup from your device screen.

I have an Air 2 and an Air 2S and a MavicPro and only currently fly REC licnese (Need to finish my 107 study and take the test). I am a commercially rated full scale pilot. I'm used to folling the FAA rules.

When I fly I utilize a VO with a nice pair of binoculars (My daughter) and try to maintain VLOS
correct me if I am wrong but isn't the observer meant to be able to see the drone with out the aid of optical devices (glasses excepted)

Edit ahh I see BigAl107 may have addressed this in post 11.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pallidin
Strobes will really help with VLOS range.

My own focus is pro videography and photography, flying tends to be low and slow! I can see that others doing travel/scenic shots might want more range. Did I mention strobes?
Strobes don't really affect VLOS except night. The idea behind VLOS is to know by looking visually at the drone which direction it is heading, how fast, and what you need to do to prevent it from hitting something. A white flash in the distance - once a second - doesn't convey any of that info.

Strobes don't really affect VLOS except night.

Sorry, but I beg to differ in opinion on that one.
They are very useful for daytime flights in many scenarios, mostly when flying out to the borderline of seeing your drone reasonably well, AND being close enough to be able to tell what the sound of an approaching aircraft engine means to your flight.

If you are flying at a distance you could normally see your drone had you been actually watching it fly out the whole time, then try the same distance using the normal practice of looking at your screen to compose a photo, shoot video etc, then looking up to see it fast.
Or, against a background where the drone might literally disappear.

No, it can very difficult in some cases, and remembering peoples differing levels of eyesight.

A white strobe helps immensely locking onto the drone position as fast as might be required, say you hear a heli engine nearby etc.

The idea behind VLOS is to know by looking visually at the drone which direction it is heading, how fast, and what you need to do to prevent it from hitting something. A white flash in the distance - once a second - doesn't convey any of that info.

All this applies to night flight too, and isn't all that different, you should be close enough to tell those factors, like red / green orientation etc.

You cannot at similar outer limit distance even tell green, red, and white, they all blend to simple light, and the distance thing and manned aircraft avoidance is exactly the same.

Strobes don't really affect VLOS except night. The idea behind VLOS is to know by looking visually at the drone which direction it is heading, how fast, and what you need to do to prevent it from hitting something. A white flash in the distance - once a second - doesn't convey any of that info.
I too must respectfully disagree. Strobes do positively affect VLOS in my daytime flying. VLOS has multiple contributions to safe flying; it all starts with knowing where my drone is, especially during the golden hours for photo/video.

Typically I’m either hovering for a still or flying a safe path for video when I look up to acquire the drone. Strobes help SO MUCH with quickly reacquiring visual on the drone!

Your experience may vary…

I too must respectfully disagree. Strobes do positively affect VLOS in my daytime flying. VLOS has multiple contributions to safe flying; it all starts with knowing where my drone is, especially during the golden hours for photo/video.

Typically I’m either hovering for a still or flying a safe path for video when I look up to acquire the drone. Strobes help SO MUCH with quickly reacquiring visual on the drone!

Your experience may vary…
I think it depends on where you attach it. I attach it on the top of the drone and it's mostly for planes in my case. But if you attach it at the back or side of the drone then it might help with VLOS too!

No matter what we do with this, in the end, it's a self-regulation issue. Who is to ever know whether you are flying VLOS or not except for the pilot? If you're speeding and you think there's no one around, you can still get nailed by radar. But how would anyone know whether you can see your drone or not? I guess it's our integrity that will either promote or degrade our industry.

I never get bored flying VOL...

I have always have a purpose for me to fly....fun, work, or just pure enjoying the drone.

find something to video...i.e. old building, shipwreck, nature, field, create a story line, and make yourself a video, like making a movie... I love flying my drones...

the video is only as boring as the owner...

meaning...if you find it interesting and see a vision in something that you are recording or taking pictures, others will....trust me it works.

and like others have said earlier in this post...sometimes you will lose sight of the drone, I do not care how big or small your drone is, and how many lights "firehouse strobes", you have on your drone, if you fly long and often enough it will happen, just be prepare to correct the incident, when it happen, and you should be ok.

Reactions: Pallidin

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929