DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VLOS rule makes flights boring - do you follow it?

When do you follow VLOS rule?

• Always

Votes: 101 38.3%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 86 32.6%
  • Sometimes, in certain situations

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • Very rarely

Votes: 26 9.8%
  • Never

Votes: 9 3.4%

• Total voters
No matter what we do with this, in the end, it's a self-regulation issue. Who is to ever know whether you are flying VLOS or not except for the pilot? If you're speeding and you think there's no one around, you can still get nailed by radar. But how would anyone know whether you can see your drone or not? I guess it's our integrity that will either promote or degrade our industry.
How do they know ?.. Usually by posting on YouTube or here. 🤷‍♂️

I too must respectfully disagree. Strobes do positively affect VLOS in my daytime flying. VLOS has multiple contributions to safe flying; it all starts with knowing where my drone is, especially during the golden hours for photo/video.

Typically I’m either hovering for a still or flying a safe path for video when I look up to acquire the drone. Strobes help SO MUCH with quickly reacquiring visual on the drone!

Your experience may vary…
Can i ask where you get strobes and where you put them? Thanks

Reactions: heightened_imagery
I think it depends on where you attach it. I attach it on the top of the drone and it's mostly for planes in my case. But if you attach it at the back or side of the drone then it might help with VLOS too!
Not meaning to criticize your choice of positioning of the strobes, but I wonder just how useful having them on top would be for other aircraft to see? I suspect airborne pilots would only see and recognize the strobes far too late to be able to take any evasive maneuvers. Undoubtedly it makes the drone a lot easier to spot from an aircraft, but manned aircraft do have right of way over drones so the more important aspect is for you as the drone pilot to see/hear the manned aircraft and move out of their way rather than them see your drone and avoid it.

Reactions: Yaros
Not meaning to criticize your choice of positioning of the strobes, but I wonder just how useful having them on top would be for other aircraft to see? I suspect airborne pilots would only see and recognize the strobes far too late to be able to take any evasive maneuvers. Undoubtedly it makes the drone a lot easier to spot from an aircraft, but manned aircraft do have right of way over drones so the more important aspect is for you as the drone pilot to see/hear the manned aircraft and move out of their way rather than them see your drone and avoid it.
That is true, but I have lights on all of the four drone arms, because it is a mavic air 2. It also has bottom aux light, it is very, very strong.

Reactions: scro
That is true, but I have lights on all of the four drone arms, because it is a mavic air 2. It also has bottom aux light, it is very, very strong.
Aha, fair enough. Making your drone more visible to other air users isn't a bad thing, for sure! :)

If it was a mini or other similar drone with limited capacity for carrying strobes, or keeping under the 250g limit then the priority may be towards making it more visible to the drone pilot.

I try to maintain line of sight. Sometimes a tree or hill can get in the way while you are looking at the screen instead of staring at the drone itself, sometimes the angle of the sun makes it impossible to see the drone and you have to assume you are still in line-of-sight, or you may have to maneuver back into line-of-sight.

Drive a sports car like a Corvette at 65 mph is boring as well but we can't break the law. I mean, you can but you will pay consequences. Same with the drones. Will be fun to drive faster than that but.... It is what it is. Unless FAA changes the rules we need to stick with it.

Every day I find ways to keep this hobby entertained, like discovering new apps, drone links, litchi, Maven, etc.. and do different things with drone-like mapping, 3D modeling, and YouTube videos. Also, Time-Laps is very interesting. Another thing I do is teach kids and adults how to fly for free. I put advertisements offering my free service.

I try to stick to the rules the best I can and encourage everybody to do the same.

Also, the 3D helicopters are amazing. Check this video I created with my buddy flying in West Palm Beach together few years ago.

That was awesome. The music fits it perfectly!

Reactions: zeusfl
I want to plead the Fifth Amendment Right Against Self-Incrimination

Can i ask where you get strobes and where you put them? Thanks
Glad to share this info!

I’m buying Firehouse Dual strobes direct from Firehouse (link). They were first marketed as “CREE 2” strobes, which may be important when selecting a mount.

I started off with white, and attach to various locations on various drones using self-stick velcro patches. Gotta’ be firm with the velcro, wiggle the strobe around to be sure it’s fully engaged. Some people have had strobes fall off.

Primary location is on the back of the drone for daytime, on top for night. If I really lose visual, I yaw the drone around until I pick it up, then fly backwards toward my position.

Most recently I’ve been having visual awareness problems with the Mini 2. Smaller than any drone I’ve spent much time with. I slapped my usual velcro on the back & top… which has been good!

I just added Firehouse Dual Red and Green strobes to the front motor arms, using 3D-printed mounts from Aerial Pixel (link). Those haven’t been up in the air on the Mini 2 yet. I never wanted them for larger drones.

Yesterday I caught this thread:
It has info about a forum sponsor supplying mounts, and vifly strobes. Looks interesting, if I need more I’ll probably check out the vifly.

PS. I did get an FAA reg for the Mini 2, to handle a variety of accessories that push it over 250g. For $5 I don’t have to worry about the weight limit when I mount 3 strobes and 2 mounts…

Hello, I have been flying drones for 1 year now and with my first drone VLOS wasn't a problem, the drone itself was big, bigger than a phantom 4 pro, and the range was limited (about 1 km max at 120 m / 400 ft) and you could see it from very far away.
6 months ago I got myself a mavic air 2, this thing is tiny compared to my older drone and it is only visible until about 400 meters distance.
Almost all of the flights with my Mavic Air 2 have been BVLOS because it's impossible to maintain VLOS.

My first question is: if almost all big aircraft cannot fly lower than 150 meters / 500 feet in Class G Airspace then why bother with VLOS? Especially in my situation when I'm 50 km away from airports and heliports.

Second question is: How many people in the drone community actually follow the rule? Vote in the poll!
I always try to keep to VLOS but there are times that I lost sight momentarily. I regularly experience military training air craft overhead at 150-250m (mostly chopper’s) even though I’m not located near any airport. The upper Teasdale area is a low flying training area where pilots hone their skills.

I don't always maintain VLOS, not out of boredom but out of practicality. Sometimes, I can't see where I want the drone positioned or I fly around a building or behind some trees, etc. - I'll go where I need to get the shot I want.

The answer from some people would be, "Then don't try to get that shot." But even BigAl07 admitted to doing it on occasion in the second post.

One person answered never. Not even giving themselves credit for watching it take off. I guess they turn away before going for it. I myself do my best to maintain VLOS but its small enough in a gray sky to get lost. I even tried colorful props. Strobes can help but since they are not required for daytime flight I rarely have them on during the day. Bottom line, I do my best to keep it in sight.

I don't always maintain VLOS, not out of boredom but out of practicality. Sometimes, I can't see where I want the drone positioned or I fly around a building or behind some trees, etc. - I'll go where I need to get the shot I want.

The answer from some people would be, "Then don't try to get that shot." But even BigAl07 admitted to doing it on occasion in the second post.
I still say it all borders on proper use of good old common sense. If you are going to fly outside VLOS for a brief period like mentioned here then be sure none of the other variables that could cause problems are going to happen while doing so. Like when I fly just above the treeline above my own wooded property for a brief period to get a shot or just plain the thrill of flying the M1X fpv for a bit through the treetops. There is literally zero risk to anything but my drone and maybe a tree branch so no one is going to care or do anything about it. But if I was flaunting it all over youtube exclaiming hey I am breaking the law then it would be something someone would either turn me in for or the FAA would find me themselves.

Mike

I always try to keep to VLOS but there are times that I lost sight momentarily. I regularly experience military training air craft overhead at 150-250m (mostly chopper’s) even though I’m not located near any airport. The upper Teasdale area is a low flying training area where pilots hone their skills.
Today a Huey? (Great big sucker with two rotors) litterally came out of nowhere before I knew it was above my property. I wasn’t flying so it wasn’t any sort of issue. It came from the East and was maybe 100’ over the treeline. Normally I hear them coming but this time I think he was so low the trees and the hill kept the sound down until he came over the hilltop above my house. He was within a half mile before I heard the slightest sound and then he was there. If I was out flying and was within VLOS I think I would have had time to avoid any sort of collision but there would have been little chance of landing safely.

Man those monsters rattle the heck out of my old house when they are that low.

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Joethedrone
I use my drones as an adjunct to my photography. Do a lot of DSLR photos and then with the drone like to get different angles and perspectives.
I see no point in flying so far out of sight.
I like to see the location of my shoot so I can orientate the shot better.
Obviously there are some times I lose sight but only momentarily.

I’m sorry, but I feel compelled to reply to the suggestion that following the rules (eg following VLOS rules) is boring. If you find that this is true, then you should simply find a different, more interesting hobby. Breaking the rules will simply lead to more rules and more restrictions on all of us.

Half jokingly... Does VLOS mean you have to actually be able to see the drone, or see it if your eyes were good enough??

On one hand, I understand the need for the VLOS rule. On the other, I rarely look at the drone except for launch and landing. I have no sense of where the drone is in relation to the terrain by looking at the drone from the ground. The #1 reason for the camera is the in-flight POV. Photos and videos are cool features, but secondary to camera POV. Notwithstanding knowledge and experience, the camera POV is the primary method for ensuring flight safety, followed by the on-screen telemetry. Watching the drone while flying, at any distance greater than 50 yds, seems counterintuitive. That said, I'm not gonna fly on the opposite side of a building, ridge line or other feature, so perhaps I'm flying VLOS as if my eyesight were better.

Half jokingly... Does VLOS mean you have to actually be able to see the drone, or see it if your eyes were good enough??

On one hand, I understand the need for the VLOS rule. On the other, I rarely look at the drone except for launch and landing. I have no sense of where the drone is in relation to the terrain by looking at the drone from the ground. The #1 reason for the camera is the in-flight POV. Photos and videos are cool features, but secondary to camera POV. Notwithstanding knowledge and experience, the camera POV is the primary method for ensuring flight safety, followed by the on-screen telemetry. Watching the drone while flying, at any distance greater than 50 yds, seems counterintuitive. That said, I'm not gonna fly on the opposite side of a building, ridge line or other feature, so perhaps I'm flying VLOS as if my eyesight were better.

Actually be ABLE to see it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada