DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VLOS rule makes flights boring - do you follow it?

When do you follow VLOS rule?

• Always

Votes: 101 38.3%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 86 32.6%
  • Sometimes, in certain situations

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • Very rarely

Votes: 26 9.8%
  • Never

Votes: 9 3.4%

• Total voters
Get some strobe lights to put on it. You can see it farther.
Be aware of low flying helicopters. We have air care and county sheriffs coming over the horizon low all the time.
That's so true... a few strobes on it increases visibility a lot! Especially when flying out in ft of heavy foliage, crops or trees!

The ultra small 3 LED units are amazingly bright!

Reactions: slozukimc
In the US generally, outside of urban areas and speed traps, speed limits are mostly suggestions. I'll be driving a long, straight stretch of highway for about 15 miles this afternoon. The posted speed limit is 65 mph. I set the cruise control at 70, and at that slow speed I for darn sure have to stay in the right lane, or I'll be a serious hazard to navigation!

Philosophically, any "law" that isn't reliably enforced, is really just a suggestion.

Still, I don't speed excessively, and I don't fly BVLOS excessively. My concerns are about safety rather than regulations per se, in both cases.

I do not, however, practice AVLOS...

;-)

What the Feds really mean about VLOS is still evolving. As with many laws and regulations, particularly new laws and regulations such as we have in Droneland, the effective law is determined far more by enforcement and case law, than it is by the straight text.

I have seen no evidence in these discussions that the Feds enforce AVLOS at all, and well they should not. It seems, based on what I've read here and elsewhere, that they are focusing on egregious BVLOS operations, which is right and proper.

I think RID is going to lead to generally available BVLOS, as it should, but obviously not next month.

Thx,

TCS
In Australia, there is a road in the "red centre" of the country that is the longest stretch of dead straight road anywhere in the world. Not a corner or a curve, just desert either side for hundreds of miles. Viewed from a 737 flying at 35000 feet, it can be seen stretching beyond the horizon. Its an amazing sight.

If I were to break the speed limit by so much as a couple of miles per hour anywhere along that "deserted" road, I guarantee I would end up with a ticket!

Drive a sports car like a Corvette at 65 mph is boring as well but we can't break the law. I mean, you can but you will pay consequences. Same with the drones. Will be fun to drive faster than that but.... It is what it is. Unless FAA changes the rules we need to stick with it.

Every day I find ways to keep this hobby entertained, like discovering new apps, drone links, litchi, Maven, etc.. and do different things with drone-like mapping, 3D modeling, and YouTube videos. Also, Time-Laps is very interesting. Another thing I do is teach kids and adults how to fly for free. I put advertisements offering my free service.

I try to stick to the rules the best I can and encourage everybody to do the same.

Also, the 3D helicopters are amazing. Check this video I created with my buddy flying in West Palm Beach together few years ago.

Can you say Edward Scissor Hand flying a jet-pack

Yeah, but I never worry about my 3d flying off into the sunset never to be seen again!
Neither did I until it happened. Trex 450 Pro clone (mostly Align parts) using Spektrum receiver and DX6i transmitter about 4 1/2 years ago. Was doing a tight ascending circle and control was lost. Ascended slowly until it specked out, never to be seen again. Video is on YouTube. I strongly believe the transmitter crapped out since I couldn't get it to connect afterward to my other heli (Blade 130x; a rare good one).

Throttle failsafe never kicked in. Obviosly servo "hold last position commanded " did, though. If anyone else has a 3D heli, check your failsafe settings from time to time.-+

Neither did I until it happened. Trex 450 Pro clone (mostly Align parts) using Spektrum receiver and DX6i transmitter about 4 1/2 years ago. Was doing a tight ascending circle and control was lost. Ascended slowly until it specked out, never to be seen again. Video is on YouTube. I strongly believe the transmitter crapped out since I couldn't get it to connect afterward to my other heli (Blade 130x; a rare good one).

Throttle failsafe never kicked in. Obviosly servo "hold last position commanded " did, though. If anyone else has a 3D heli, check your failsafe settings from time to time.-+
One more reason to love my Platinum Pro. I don't have to program in all of the stuff that keeps me safe.

I would assume most have gone behind a building, tree or some obstacle... loosing sight for short period. When flying a construction project... over the 1-4 yrs build project, repeating the same mission for image grid and video loop. As the project goes up, I eventually loose site as it flies the rear section. I walk to other end to see it when it clears building... I also maintain a visual on the screen to insure craft is maintaining programmed flight path and stable. Even though it's a few seconds on back stretch, it still gives a little pucker on a inner city construction... the thoughts if there was a problem. I
attempt to minimize by flying these on Sunday morning.

The other big controversy, when DJI released the DJI FPV. How many jumped on that exciting new challenge... and accepted the known issue flying FPV Goggles. Granted, I normally fly low... more entertaining to fly 1-3 ft off deck... and my Wife sitting inside is my VO. ;)

None of it meets regulations, and I'll bet 95% flying DJI FPV & Goggles are by themselves or flying at same time with Friends.

That's a very unusual happening! I've always had them come crashing to the ground which is not much better, but at least you have something to try and put back together! I've never lost a drone, (knock on wood) but I've certainly read about a lot of missing drones on these pages and that's just in the last month that I've been here!

Not a true 3D Heli, I've seen the new FlyWing FW450 has a lot of FW & programming to return heli back to home for multiple situations. Granted, that isn't a guarantee.. but that's interesting how they're attempting to include more drone type features.

It's not the craft for you 3D Pro's... But for us recreation Heli fliers, learning 3D or just Heli flying... not bad features for a heli.

Not a true 3D Heli, I've seen the new FlyWing FW450 has a lot of FW & programming to return heli back to home for multiple situations. Granted, that isn't a guarantee.. but that's interesting how they're attempting to include more drone type features.

It's not the craft for you 3D Pro's... But for us recreation Heli fliers, learning 3D or just Heli flying... not bad features for a heli.
Hmmmmm. Makin me want to look into a new toy. I would love a Heli that hovers when I let off the sticks like my M1X.

Mike

So that looks like a really fun way to kill 600 bucks one of these days when I am feeling rich.

Mike
In their Video library, John from RC HELICOPTER Fun.com shows how to use their H1 servo with basically any Heli kit and other videos for most Radios. Not sure what the H1 costs, but you might be able to convert an existing Bird.

Reactions: slozukimc
In their Video library, John from RC HELICOPTER Fun.com shows how to use their H1 servo with basically any Heli kit and other videos for most Radios. Not sure what the H1 costs, but you might be able to convert an existing Bird.
Well now. Thank you @Dougcjohn I have been watching several youtube videos and I think by the time I get done learning to hover my racing drone I will have the basics down well enough for flying the heli. If no one buys it I may end up with an fpv cam on it. Lol

Mike

I have a Mini 2 which is small and light grey - the same colour as most of the UK sky!
Because it is almost impossible to spot - after glancing down at the controller, - when only a few hundred feet away. I always fly with a friend. We act as a spotter for each other. Should the need arise, we are also able to provide any warnings for each other as well. It is far safer and so much more relaxing.

Well now. Thank you @Dougcjohn I have been watching several youtube videos and I think by the time I get done learning to hover my racing drone I will have the basics down well enough for flying the heli. If no one buys it I may end up with an fpv cam on it. Lol

Mike
I intend to put a Insta360 Go2 on the Ft to capture for fun of it.
Go2 is extremely lite... nice little camera.

I intend to put a Insta360 Go2 on the Ft to capture for fun of it.
Go2 is extremely lite... nice little camera.

I have cameras and transmitters from fpv drones that are super light and will transmit to my goggles re which records on an sd card.

Almost all of the flights with my Mavic Air 2 have been BVLOS because it's impossible to maintain VLOS.

My first question is: if almost all big aircraft cannot fly lower than 150 meters / 500 feet in Class G Airspace then why bother with VLOS? Especially in my situation when I'm 50 km away from airports and heliports.

Second question is: How many people in the drone community actually follow the rule? Vote in the poll!
I noticed that you're from Mallorca, so I don't know what rules apply there. However, I would point out a couple things:

1. It's entirely within your control to maintain VLOS. Just don't fly so far away, or add a strobe kit.
2. Define "big." Helicopters routinely get clearances to fly at 150' AGL for any number of reasons. 747, perhaps not so much.

I noticed that you're from Mallorca, so I don't know what rules apply there. However, I would point out a couple things:

1. It's entirely within your control to maintain VLOS. Just don't fly so far away, or add a strobe kit.
2. Define "big." Helicopters routinely get clearances to fly at 150' AGL for any number of reasons. 747, perhaps not so much.
I try to maintain VLOS from recently, and will keep trying ;)

Glad to share this info!

I’m buying Firehouse Dual strobes direct from Firehouse (link). They were first marketed as “CREE 2” strobes, which may be important when selecting a mount.

I started off with white, and attach to various locations on various drones using self-stick velcro patches. Gotta’ be firm with the velcro, wiggle the strobe around to be sure it’s fully engaged. Some people have had strobes fall off.

Primary location is on the back of the drone for daytime, on top for night. If I really lose visual, I yaw the drone around until I pick it up, then fly backwards toward my position.

Most recently I’ve been having visual awareness problems with the Mini 2. Smaller than any drone I’ve spent much time with. I slapped my usual velcro on the back & top… which has been good!

I just added Firehouse Dual Red and Green strobes to the front motor arms, using 3D-printed mounts from Aerial Pixel (link). Those haven’t been up in the air on the Mini 2 yet. I never wanted them for larger drones.

Yesterday I caught this thread:
It has info about a forum sponsor supplying mounts, and vifly strobes. Looks interesting, if I need more I’ll probably check out the vifly.

PS. I did get an FAA reg for the Mini 2, to handle a variety of accessories that push it over 250g. For $5 I don’t have to worry about the weight limit when I mount 3 strobes and 2 mounts…
Thank you so much!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian