DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My amp/antenna build and distance test (I will update thread as i go)

You've seen beanbubbas he did it for a reason.

yes I did see some info on that I haven't read the whole thread....lol to see the reason yet

Of the 8 watt (5W ) (depends on who you buy them from ) (they appear the same )ones I’ve tested (6) they all will output more than the black amps called dragon amps (4W) ( if you look at them it looks more like a dove than a Dragon) now they both gain from the RC controller as a product of time ( the RC increases over time) in most cases they will get 2.5-3watts over the dragon-dove amps. 3watts more than say 36dbm on the dragon-dove amps in one test I have tested 42dbm I use both, and have been pleased with both, the bigger ones cost more.about 15 dollars more if you shop around

yea I see the 8 watt ones are 40 plus each :( BUT the 8 watt ones have a very good RX!!! I may have to get one!! lol

@mnoutdoors @Rnl ask about your panel antenna if you miss that post

ebay i will have to find the link

Reactions: Rnl
I have posted all of it before, I have 7 different panel setups the biggest are 20dbi they will get the farthest.
But the cheap china ones are close behind at 14dbi modified (removed the cords)I have a dragon-dove amp on one set and the 8w on another.ITElite Max panel with 8watt amps 14DBI, Titan amped panel, the small itelite with sunhams amps. And one more set of 8w amped 14dbi with 14dbi yagis at the same time

the only thing about the panel antennas is you have to point them more towards the bird.....@mnoutdoors you need antenna tracking :) I post the link for that did you see it?

Keep in mind he is fly alot higher than us too, flying from a mountain.
I typically fly from 2100 elevation and end at 6000 in elevation. the top of the peaks I fly is 5900 feet
Normally I’m 300-400 ft AGL as I climb the mountain always straight line of sight

I don’t need a tracking antenna, I just move my body left or right, if I use my 20DBI antennas on the tripod I just give it a little turn remember as you get further away the antenna fan is wider on a panel antenna

I don’t need a tracking antenna, I just move my body left or right, if I use my 20DBI antennas on the tripod I just give it a little turn remember as you get further away the antenna fan is wider on a panel antenna

ahhh ok I didn't think it fan that much

The narrowest beam I use is 18degrees, but some are 37 degrees at 10 miles 37 degrees is a lot of width

About 4 miles wide at 10 miles out roughly with 37 degrees beam
There are a wide variety of lobe designs and it’s not a true fan, it’s more of a lobe than a fan and as it gets further it does narrow. There are chapters and chapters on this and I’m not qualified to explain in detail

Last edited:
They do make one it runs about 250.00 but I was not impressed with the stated gains

DE38711C-B8CE-408F-8C43-979DDCF49280.jpg

20W 2.4Ghz Wifi Wireless Broadband Amplifier Router Power Range Signal Booster

Model:EP-AB001

Product Description:

1. Brand new and high quality.
2. Low-noise receive gain 2.5dB .
3. Led status : Green (transmit) / Red(receive) / Change TX with RX( mix red with green)
4. High Gain, High Value, High Performance.
5. Wide Working Voltage 30—54V
6. Plug-and-play, Easy installation, no driver needed.
7. Ideal for increase the 2400-2500 MHz frequency devices. Adopt Time Division uplex ( TDD )
8. Increase the effective range and coverage area of your Wi-Fi network.
9. Maximum output power of 20000mW by the Booster.
10. The amplified wireless signal may even penetrate complex environments with many walls and obstacles.
11. Ideal for use with 2.4GHz Wireless LANs, Support 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n (2.4Ghz mode only).
Setup steps

1. Take of the power adapter of wifi router /AP
2. Take of the antenna of wifi router/AP
3. Connect the wifi amplifier “RFIN” Port with wifi router antenna port with accessory SMA cable
4. Connect the antenna with wifi amplifier “Out” port
5. Power the wifi amplifier firstly , then power the wifi router/AP

Using Precautions
1.Make sure all power supply to the booster and the AP/Router unit be disconnected before removing or changing antenna.
2.When finishing connecting the booster and the AP/Router, restore power supply first to the booster and then to AP/Router subsequently.
3.Waterproof, lightning protection equipment should be attached to outdoor antenna.
4. Keep away from heat and keep ventilated.
5. Please comply with local regulations of electromagnetic radiation.

Specifications:

1. Frequency: 2400-2500 MHz.

2. Operation Mode: Bi-directional, half-duplex, Auto-Switching via carrier sensing.

3. ultra low power consumption: 620mA@Pout 36dBm 48V

4. Input Power:8dBm (Min.)-26dBm (Max.).

5. output Power 9~ 43 dBm.

6. EVM: 4%@36dBm 802.l l g 54Mbps OFDM 64QAM BW 20MHz

7. Output Power: 20000mW/43dBm nominal for 802.11b/11Mbps.

8. Connector: SMA Receptacle, 50 ohm.

9. Transmit Gain: 17dB土1 nominal.

10. Receiver Gain: 20dB土1

11. Receive Noise Figure: 2.5 dBm nominal.

12. Operating Temperature: -40 to 70 degree.

13. Operating Humidity: Up to 95% relative humidity.

14. Material: Cast Aluminum.

15. Size:225mm ×12lmmx24mm

16. Weight: 1000g

thanks for the info on the "fanning" of the signal and ya that 20watt amp not worth the price tag! but that brand name pricing is high on their amps!!

@mnoutdoors you have any videos of your flying in the mountains? youtube? It would cool to see a video!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB